Kettle Volume calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
This is a calculator I made in Excel a while ago. I put it onto my website in case others find it useful. If you know the diameter of your brew kettle, and your kettle is cylindrical, you can use the calculator to convert between depth of the liquid and volume.

This lets you use a dipstick to figure out your volumes if you're not cool enough for a sight glass yet ;)

Click and tell me what you think!

Eventually it'll store your kettle diameter in a cookie so you don't have to re-enter it every time you go to the site.

-Joe

Prosted.

I feel like such a tool - why didn't I do this? I'm savvy with math and computers, yet it never occurred to me to work SMARTER instead of HARDER. I made an Excel graph where all my containers (MLT, 3, 9 and 15gal boilers, buckets, etc...) have it's own line, plotted against x=depth & y=gallons. I thought I was so smart doing this - all I have to do is dip a stick into any one of them and I can look on my chart to see the volume.

To get my data? I literally poured gallons of water from one to the next and took measurements, plugged the data into Excel and made the chart. How could I forget the wonders of pi? I'm such a dolt.

Nice work.

Might be a good idea to add a calculation for linearly changing radius's. Most kettles are smaller at the bottom than the top. Some may be tapered enough to have a significant effect on the volume.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the changing radius thing.

Cookies should be working now, so your data will be saved. LMK if there are any other issues.

What about some way of storing several of your favorite kettles in a local cookie? Hmm...

Thanks,

-Joe

One more update for y'all. The kettle calc now has separate boxes for volume and depth measurements, and the units have been made more flexible.

Have fun :)

-Joe

One more update for y'all. The kettle calc now has separate boxes for volume and depth measurements, and the units have been made more flexible.

Have fun :)

-Joe

Awesome! Id I had this I wouldve NOT made a 7 gal batch with my first keggle run which was supposed to be 12 :p I'll definitely use this next go around especially since I plan on doing a 5 gallon batch in the keggle next.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I just updated the calc to take thermal expansion into account. That way you can enter a hot volume and see what the depth will be cold and vise-versa. I was tired of multiplying by 0.04 or 0.96 to figure it out, so now you get both values whenever you do the calulation.

-Joe

This is a calculator I made in Excel a while ago. I put it onto my website in case others find it useful. If you know the diameter of your brew kettle, and your kettle is cylindrical, you can use the calculator to convert between depth of the liquid and volume.

This lets you use a dipstick to figure out your volumes if you're not cool enough for a sight glass yet ;)

Click and tell me what you think!

Eventually it'll store your kettle diameter in a cookie so you don't have to re-enter it every time you go to the site.

-Joe

Is there a link to this?
This one appears to be broken

To convert to US gallons:

V = (pi * r2 * h) / 231

Where pi = 3.1416, r is the radius of your kettle (diameter divided by 2), and h is the height of your liquid in inches. This will give you a cubic inches figure which is why you divide the answer by 231 to convert to US gallons.

Great idea. I'm going to add this to my brew workbook. Brewday will be even better/easier.

Can't look at this from my phone but does it take into account the 2 bump outs on the kegs?

I have site gauges on my gear but I made the same thing for my buckets/carboys. This let's me know what my final yield was using a tape measure. Ahhh, math. So useful.

I was just about to post a question on this. Glad I found the thread! Measuring the volume and chugging through the cylinder volume calc seem like the way to do things for me from now on. It occurred to me on my last brew as im trying to do full volume boils and have been off a bit. Will use this to accurately get volume not just in my kettle but also in my buckets!

Back