Brewing with Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejacques

Reaction score
Hi there,

Has anybody brewed with fruits such as honeydew melon and cantaloupe? I am toying with the idea of doing a wheat beer with either of these fruits and am curious if anybody has a past experience doing so.

Thanks,

Ed

I wonder if you could boil down the juice into a syrup to concentrate the flavor without destroying the delicate favors of the melon? The other option would be to do a PM and use the juice(large amount) as the cold water to mix in with boiled wort?? I'd also look up watermelon wheat recipes and maybe use those, but sub the different melons. I think the honeydew sounds better than cantaloupe for a beer, just MHO.

honeydew is such a delicate flavor, I would make sure I reduced it enough to keep the taste. I would suggest adding something different to give the flavor. There is no way that you will be able to reduce the juice and keep the aroma and flavor, unless you have a liquid dehydrating tray and a food dehydrator

Back