What's your favorite online store for beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first purchase from ritebrew a few weeks ago, the beers at in the primary right now, I agree you can't beat the price. I will be interested to see how the beers turn out.

I had thought about buying some kits from Austin a few years ago but at that time they didn't include the recipie in the kits, the ingredients were a secret, is that still the case?

I noticed that they don't show the recipes on there site. I was going to place my next order with them. Now I need to know if there included or were supposed to guess.

>>I noticed that they don't show the recipes on there site. I was going to place my next order with them. Now I need to know if there included or were supposed to guess.

When you get the kit, the contents of the recipe are included/listed.
X pounds of A, Y ounces of B, etc.

BxBrewer said:
I noticed that they don't show the recipes on there site. I was going to place my next order with them. Now I need to know if there included or were supposed to guess.

Are you talking about www.ritebrew.com or Austin?

I'm pretty positive Ritebrew lists all the recipes on their site.

blackcows said:
I made my first purchase from ritebrew a few weeks ago, the beers at in the primary right now, I agree you can't beat the price. I will be interested to see how the beers turn out.

What kit did you buy?

Right, but does Austin give you the recipe ie: when to add hops etc ? Like this.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SmashingPumpkinEX.pdf

They would have to give you the hop addition times or there would be no way to make the beer.

My understanding of the Austin kits has always been that they didn't tell you the actual ingredients that you were using but instead used general term. For instance you got "Specialty Grains" instead of .5 pound of x and .5 pounds of Y but based on an answer earlier in the thread it appers that is no longer the case (or maybe never has been).

They would have to give you the hop addition times or there would be no way to make the beer.

My understanding of the Austin kits has always been that they didn't tell you the actual ingredients that you were using but instead used general term. For instance you got "Specialty Grains" instead of .5 pound of x and .5 pounds of Y but based on an answer earlier in the thread it appears that is no longer the case (or maybe never has been).

1. Of course they give detailed instructions. Add X hops at a certain time. Mash this for X etc.

2. You get the exact contents in the write up that comes in the kit. The hops are labeled. The grain bag has printed on it what it contains. The instructions list the grain contents and all the hops.

The only thing AHB doesn't do (which I wish they would do) is list the contents on line.

1. Of course they give detailed instructions. Add X hops at a certain time. Mash this for X etc.

2. You get the exact contents in the write up that comes in the kit. The hops are labeled. The grain bag has printed on it what it contains. The instructions list the grain contents and all the hops.

The only thing AHB doesn't do (which I wish they would do) is list the contents on line.

Thank you for clearing that up ! :mug:

It's really awesome to have so many great online vendors, to choose from. I've used almost all of the big ones, with positive results. I have to give kudos to Northern Brewer. Their customer service is hard to beat. I'm one of the unfortunate ones without a lhbs, close by.

ArcLight said:

I have always used Austin due to low prices, reasonable shipping cost and large recipe selection. I can see why they don't put the recipe ingredients online. There's a slight premium to buy the kit (over just buying the ingredients) but they earned the premium by testing and putting together a recipe you know will be decent.

I shop them all, buy mostly at my "local" brew shop ( near 2 hours away) to support them.
My favorite online stores are probably northern brew and more beer. I look at morebeer.com more because I check the deal of the day nearly every day. ( great marketing)

Alternative Beverage. http://ebrew.com/ is the tits. Their kits are custom, they only use DME in them. Even with shipping their prices end up beating everybody.

Alternative Beverage is my LHBS, so I don't order anything online, ever. Their main wharehouse is only 20 min away. Awesome place to kill a little time. They brew at the store every weekend and anyone is welcome to hang out. They also have a lakeside park where they have festivals a few times a year, free to local customers (or ones willing to make the drive). First weekend in Nov, they are having a cider day at the park. They're going to bring a truckload of apples from the mountains and press them out for whoever is interested. I'm taking my carboy to make 5 gal of hard carbonated cider.:drunk:

I have used Morebeer and Williams Brewing. Williams Brewing ships very fast and has flat rate shipping. They also include yeast with the kit and are competitively priced. However, Williams Brewing does not tell you the recipe. :confused:Morebeer has a better selection but takes a long time to ship. I typically wait more than a week for my kit. You also have to order yeast separate. Morebeer also includes the full recipe so you know what is going in the kit. Morebeer also includes steeping grains which is cool.

I'm testing out a williams imperial stout right now, seems pretty legit and more advanced than brewers best.

I'm looking into ritebrew as my next choice just to get feelers out ther for who has what, at what cost and most importantly, the end result.

RIC0 said:
I'm testing out a williams imperial stout right now, seems pretty legit and more advanced than brewers best.

I'm looking into ritebrew as my next choice just to get feelers out ther for who has what, at what cost and most importantly, the end result.

I just brewed the Belgian IPA from www.Ritebrew.com

It is a Belgian Tripel with more hops to make it an IPA from what I understand. Pretty excited for it. Definitely not a session brew coming in at >9%

Homebrewstuff.com you can order specialty grains by the ounce. Fast shipping and flat rate shipping. I use to use northern but hated waiting so long for supplies.

I have not had this experience with Northern Brewer. When I got my full Deluxe Glass brew kit, hydrometer kit, and Honey Brown Ale Extract kit, it all arrived together within 3 business days!

Northern Brewer all the way. Great company, great website, fantastic customer service.
They even gave me a $5 credit towards my next purchase, because my Doberman ate my priming sugar! Luckily, I found out you can just use table sugar, LoL.

I've been quite happy with NB's kits, and would normally oder them from them a few at a time rather than pick up the ingredients from my local... Watch their shipping rates though - 7.99 flat rate is gone

I've also really liked morebeer's and Austin Homebrew Supply's kits as well, and would order from either.

I also have not experienced this.
When I ordered my whole brew kit/equipment, hydrometer, and Honey Brown Ale kit, they sent it ALL to me for $7.99 flat rate!

Yay Northern Brewer! :mug:

Ive used midwest supplies and Annapolis Home Brew. Midwest has better prices but I imagine that is because they run a larger operation. Both are very good in my opinion. Annapolis has flat rate shipping as well.

Recipe and ingredients list is a must since I like to know exactly what I'm getting. Norther brewer and morebeer, anyone else list ingredients?

I'm a newb but have used Northern Brewer & Midwest for equipment, Apex Brew Wares (my LHBS http:\\www.apexbrewwares.com) and BrewmastersWarehouse.com for kits.

Liked them both, but Apex bagged my specialty grains for me. Brewmasters Warehouse did not. I have a huge plastic bag full of grains for a Milk Oatmeal Stout sitting in my kitchen right now that I have to find a steeping bag of some kind for. :p

BonzoAPD said:
How much is their shipping?

The shipping at www.ritebrew.com varies on what you order. It is very reasonable and they offer a shipping discount of $5 off $50 and $10 off $100.

I recently ordered a Perlick and 3 shanks, shipping was $4.99 USPS Priority.

The biggest order I made was 56 lbs and it was $16 to ship it.

Even after shipping they are almost always the cheapest.

dallasdb said:
Forgot to mention you can see the shipping cost before checkout, just click on the shopping cart in the top right.

Thanks. I just tried that. $13.38 to ship an extract kit to NY!!!

BonzoAPD said:
Thanks. I just tried that. $13.38 to ship an extract kit to NY!!!

Ya shipping just one heavy item can be expensive but put 2-3 extract kits together you'll get over $50 and get the $5 off shipping.

I recommend the Centennial IPA from Ritebrew. It's pretty tasty!

I'll cast my vote for Midwest. I don't have a LHBS because I'm in South Korea. Being in a small apartment with an electric stove kinda keeps me in extract kits--and Midwest has plenty to choose from. Since Midwest is the only one I've found that will ship to an APO, I go with them by default. I'm really looking forward to being able to support a local supplier when I get back to the states.

Personally I like Northern Brewer kits over Midwest. Midwest kits of same style (like bitter or steam) seem to come out maltier to me. That is just personal preference and you won't see me dumping them or even turning down a Midwest kit sale.
I enjoy shopping in person at the Midwest store more though and so I find myself buying most of my equipment from them.
I usually get the kits in 1 or 2 days from both. Unless I am in dire need of something and then it takes forever. 7 days once for a smack pack. ok so there was a late in the day order and a weekend and a fake holiday (Columbus day I think) in there.
Irritates me that a friend of mine in ND gets the kits just as quick, but doesn't have to pay tax.

Has anyone tries Jasper's? Boomchugalug.com. I never have but have read good things and they have a big menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

homebrewing.org the store is adventures in home brewing I got a few kits and they have been great awesome shipping.

Adventures in homebrewing and northern brewer are my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Northern Brewer, hands-down. They have sooooo many different ones, and they tweak the recipes over time, and keep adding new ones. I brewed an NB kit or two every week for a yr and always felt like there were more I wanted to try than I had time to brew.

So far i've only used Midwest. Adventures in Homebrewing and NB have a few that I definitely want to try out, though.

Back