No More Bubbles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryBoy99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an octoberfest brewing currently and tomorrow is its one month in the carboy but I wont be able to bottle for another week. I would think that since its sealed up it would stay fine for a little while right? Its still sealed up with the airlock but isnt bubbling no more which brings me to my next question...Will the beer be fine sitting another week sealed up while not producing co2? Side note: since its not bubbling im assuming the yeast went dormant? (and not dead 0_o...) and hopefully will spring to life when i go to bottle? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys
-Larry
:mug:

LarryBoy99 said:
I have an octoberfest brewing currently and tomorrow is its one month in the carboy but I wont be able to bottle for another week. I would think that since its sealed up it would stay fine for a little while right? Its still sealed up with the airlock but isnt bubbling no more which brings me to my next question...Will the beer be fine sitting another week sealed up while not producing co2? Side note: since its not bubbling im assuming the yeast went dormant? (and not dead 0_o...) and hopefully will spring to life when i go to bottle? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys
-Larry
:mug:

Totally fine.

Yup...should be fine. Plenty of living yeast still in there too, so you shouldn't need to worry about going to the bottles. If you want to reassure yourself though, you can always suck up a little of the yeast cake when you transfer the beer to the bottling bucket.

Yup...should be fine. Plenty of living yeast still in there too, so you shouldn't need to worry about going to the bottles. If you want to reassure yourself though, you can always suck up a little of the yeast cake when you transfer the beer to the bottling bucket.

Sounds like it would be fine without but ill probably add some like you said just to make sure. Thanks for the responses

Just curious but you said Octoberfest? Most are lagers, was this lager yeast? Did it lager?

If yes to both how did you ferment this as most lagers are not done in a month nor are they fermented at ale temperatures.

Your perfectly fine, dont add any yeast or do anything. A month is not that long, as long as you arent fiddling with the stopper, there should be a blanket of CO2 on top of your beer keeping it safe.

If it had been in the carboy for 6 months, then maybe you'd need to add yeast when bottling...but 1 month is standard.

Saw no need to mess with it so it stayed like it did for the past month...undisturbed. Everything smelled as it should have when I opened it to siphon out. Got it all bottled , should know in about 8 days if it naturally carbonated or not.

I didnt use a lager yeast. The recipe I went with called for the WLP810 Lager yeast but I used a higher temp ale yeast because my chest freezer ended itself and I have no other freezer available to get it down to lager temps. It stayed at about 72 degrees for the 5 weeks it was in the carboy.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Saw no need to mess with it so it stayed like it did for the past month...undisturbed. Everything smelled as it should have when I opened it to siphon out. Got it all bottled , should know in about 8 days if it naturally carbonated or not.

I didnt use a lager yeast. The recipe I went with called for the WLP810 Lager yeast but I used a higher temp ale yeast because my chest freezer ended itself and I have no other freezer available to get it down to lager temps. It stayed at about 72 degrees for the 5 weeks it was in the carboy.

Thanks for the feedback guys

8 days is probably too soon to know if it is sufficiently carbed. I guess you will have some indication if there is some carbonation or not...but it will take longer than that to reach your final carbonation level.

Well its already been in bottles for about 3 days , so I figured at the 10 day mark I would open one to see how its progressing. I was planning on leaving them alone for at least 2 weeks.

You'll see this in a gazillion threads, but three weeks at 70 degrees is the typical baseline for carbonation on most beers. High gravity or lower temps can take longer to carb up.

On the 7th day I opened one bottle to see how it was progressing and it had great carbonation and color. Should be good in a few more weeks

Back