Secondary or Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerverry

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find a thread on this, so I figured I'd ask.

I've got a Black IPA in my primary right now, I'll be transferring to secondary for some dry hopping in a couple weeks. The earliest bottling dates would be Oct 8th.

Here's the catch, I'm leaving for basic & officer training on Oct 10th for 5 months.

So, my question. Is it better to let it hang out in the secondary to age while I'm gone, or would it keep better in bottles.

Thank you in advance for your input.

How long has it been in primary?

As soon as you're within a couple points of your target FG, you could rack it. In fact, you could just dry hop in the primary, and then bottle. Either way, I would definitely get it into bottles before you leave. If for no other reason, wouldn't it be nice to have that beer aged and ready to drink when you return in 5 months?

It's the Northern Brewer black IPA extract kit that was put in primary on Saturday.

Unless you have someone to fill the airlock with sanitized water, so it doesn't dry out, while your gone I would bottle it for that reason alone.

Thanks guys. Got the bottles ready today.

image-1767071813.jpg

Yep I agree. Dry hop, bottle and have a somebody put them in a fridge a few weeks before you get back. Your beer will be well carbed, cold and crystal clear upon your return.

Back