Corn Sugar Vs. Cane Sugar For Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
Is there any significant difference between these two sugars when using as a priming sugar?

A highly debated topic...

Most will tell you not to use cane sugar because of the potential for off flavors (cider-ish). I say try it for yourself to prove or disprove the speculation (most of us haven't actually done a true comparison).

For real, I felt a little retarded even asking the question. I had just run out of my real stash of priming sugar, and said, "Hey. This is a white sugar; lets try it!" A cidery flavor or aroma might actually be a nice thing on this beer. It's my 2nd Apricot IPA. I just hope that it doesn't ruin it, because the uncarbonated aged beer was fantastic before bottling. We'll see!

But isn't BROWN SUGAR just unrefined CANE SUGAR?

5gB

5 oz of cane sugar in 5 gal of beer---No way will it add a cidery flavor. If you're doing an extract brew u won't be able to taste anything over that molasses "twang" from the LME anyway!

It is my understanding that most brown sugar formulations are table sugar with molasses mixed in.

Demarara (sp) is unrefined or under refined cane sugar.

Barry

Castawayales said:

It is my understanding that most brown sugar formulations are table sugar with molasses mixed in.

Demarara (sp) is unrefined or under refined cane sugar.

Barry

Pretty much right. And beneath demerara is sucanat, which is pure, unf*cked-with, cane sugar.

5 oz of cane sugar in 5 gal of beer---No way will it add a cidery flavor. If you're doing an extract brew u won't be able to taste anything over that molasses "twang" from the LME anyway!

In the same way that I don't think the Americans planned the attack on the twin towers, I don't believe in extract twang. There's only bad process and bad yeast.

Cane sugar works great for priming. I use it exclusively and I never get any cidery flavors - not even in my lightest beers (kolsch, german pils, etc).

Back