boiling Brewferm kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingzog

Reaction score
I just bought several Brewferm kits. The directions say not to boill the extract. Should I follow this or just boill the extract?

I don't think it really matters that much. If you have doubts about your sanitation, then go ahead and boil. If you sanitize good, boiling might not be necessary.

When you boil an extract, it has a tendency to make the wort a darker color. If thats what you want go ahead and boil. If you're going for lighter/clear color maybe you don't boil.

If you're making a kit, its pretty hard to mess it up anyway.

Personally I wouldn't boil it, but thats just me.

We've only done a couple of the canned kits and we did boil but not long. We put a couple gallons of water in the pot and brought it to a boil. We then added the contents of the can, brought the temp back to boil and boiled for 5 minutes or so. We used a ice bath to cool it down, put in primary, and added water to specified amount.

I don't think it's necessary to boil but it didn't seem quite right to not bring it up to temp.

Back