Recipe/hop schedule recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
So I've made 3 brews so far, and I have an assortment of leftover hops from them that I want to use before they sit too long. I've got enough that I think I can make an IPA style brew, but I don't have enough experience to understand how to make a hop schedule.

Here are the hops I have to work with:

2oz chinook
2oz tettnanger
1oz willamette
1oz northern brewer
1oz cascade

I'm *guessing* some sort of schedule like

chinook 60 mins
n. brewer 45 mins
willamette 30 mins
cascade 15 mins
1oz tettnanger flameout
1oz tettnanger dry hop

...but honestly not sure about the subtleties of hop scheduling.

Also what would be a good extract, specialty grain, and yeast choice to make a decent IPA with these hops?

Thanks in advance!

Heya Damdaman,

If I were to give that bag of hops a run, I'd try something like this...

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: LexusChris
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 79.04 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.98 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.98 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Est Alcohol by Vol: 5.43 %
Bitterness: 58.9 IBU
Est Color: 8.6 SRM

The Vienna & Crystal should add some malt to back the hops, which I put in the middle range for balance. If you like your IPA's bitter, then up the Chinook @ 60 to a full 1 oz.

If you like a strong hop nose, then definitely dry hop! I'd suggest more Cascade if you can get some.. Or if you feel adventuresome, use a leftover oz. of Chinook and see how that works out..

I left the Tettnanger out, as that is a German lager aroma hop that just didn't feel like it fit. (Although, I have used german aroma hops in IPAs at the 60-min mark with some decent results :) )

Good luck!
--Lexuschris

Thanks, that's very helpful! Do you have any suggestions on a good yeast strain for IPA?

And yes, I do like a pretty bitter/hoppy IPA so I think I will go with at laest 1oz on the chinook.

The tettnanger is left over from an IIPA I made, the recipe called for it as an aroma hop and dry hop so I thought I'd leave it there. Although it'd be nice to do something different in case I don't like how that turns out, so maybe I will take your suggestion and leave it out.

I'd usually use WLP001 "California Ale".. it ferments clean & even, allowing the hop & malt flavors come through...

I suspect that Safale US-05, or Wyeast 1056 would also be good choices..

And on the mini-mash, steep the grains with about 2.25 qts water at 152-154 for 45-60 minutes...

Let us know how it turns out!
--Lexuschris

Thanks LC, I went and got the necessary ingredients yesterday, and did grab Safale US-05 as that was what the LHBS guy suggested. Unfortunately I forgot to mill the grains, so I'm going to have to try out the old rolling pin method. Hopefully it will be fine though!

I will let you know how it turns out, I appreciate the help. :)

Brewed this yesterday. I went ahead and used the full 2oz of chinook, cuz I'm kind of a hop-head and I figured why not. Used 7lbs LME as well, but otherwise followed this recipe pretty well.

I'm worried cuz my OG was low, 1.046, but whatever, I'm sure it'll be fine. Airlock is bubbling furiously this morning, so all is good!

Back