WL029 (Kolsch) What to pitch onto cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Hey all. Im going to be brewing a kolsch next week sometime and i was just wondering if there are any other brews that would work well with the cake of WL029. Hate to waste a good cake!
Thanks
:mug:

I won a comp using that yeast after I brewed a Kolsch, I washed it and made a cream ale with it. The kolsch took 2nd and the cream ale took third.

Altbier would work as well. Or god forbid you had to make 2 kolsch's! I'd certainly drink some extra kolsch for you?!

i made a mocktoberfest once with Wyeast kolsch 2565. it was tastey. pretty clean since its a pseudo lager yeast.

Thanks to all for the replys. I was actually thinking of just doing a second kolsch but thought id ask for interesting ideas. Im thinking of just doing a second kolsch with the same recipe and seeing how the higher pitch rate alters the flavor of the second brew. Or i may do a pale ale of some sort...who knows :)
Thanks again

I've got a smoked porter on a WLP029 cake right now.

You can pitch anything that you think the yeast's flavor/esters/attenuation would compliment.

I would vote for the pale ale. I just brewed one with this yeast and it is the best beer I have done. I love wlp029...It's going to be my go to yeast.

This is my first time using this yeast so i really cant judge what else it will be good in yet. Thanks

White Labs description and the specs of the yeast can help you there:

Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.
Attenuation: 72-78%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F
Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Armed with this kinda info, you can decided if it's suitable for another beer you have in mind: Fermented in the lower end, it produces a crisp, clean pseudo-lager style with an emphasis on the hops.

Latest posts

Back