Adding Chocolate flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
I made a Mexican Chocolate porter. The heat came through strong but the chocolate flavor is barely there. I was thinking about making a coco powder and vodka tea and add that before bottling. but I'm worried about sediment. anyone have a better idea?

Cocoa powder doesn't dissolve. Add it to your priming sugar and most of it will be left in the bottom of the bottling bucket and the rest will settle to the bottom of the bottle.

+1 to the Cat. My brew buddy and I made a chocolate orange porter last year as a holiday brew. We used an entire box of Hershey's cocoa powder in the boil...wound up with nearly a gallon and a half of trub in the primary. While it WILL give you some chocolate flavor, it takes so much to do it that you'll lose a ton of beer to the trub.

However, I'd never thought of using chocolate extract...thank you for that idea, ChshreCat!

I've used bakers chocolate in the boil for a stout and it worked great. I've also heard of putting the cocoa in during the boil (10 min to flame out).

I've used bakers chocolate in the boil for a stout and it worked great. I've also heard of putting the cocoa in during the boil (10 min to flame out).

That's what I did with mine. Worked great. Just give it three weeks in primary for it all to settle out. The powder sinks but the flavor stays. I was only recommending chocolate extract because it was so late in the game and he was wanting a little additional chocolate flavor. If you're going from the start, cocoa powder is the way to go. Especially if you can find fat free cocoa powder like I used.

I recently added about 6oz of coca nibs to about 4 gallons of stout in a corny keg at work. Over the top chocolate in under a week ! The nibs were available at the local food co-op.

If its already bottling time, extract does work well. If it's still fermenting, you could add cocoa powder and let it set in the fermenter, the longer you let it set on the cocoa the more flavor you will get.

Check my recipe dropdown, I have a great chocolate stout recipe and it has info on how to brew it and add the chocolate.

Back