Clearing up mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I have a mead that's been sitting for about 2 months now. I've racked it once (probably about a month ago) and it hasn't cleared up much. It still has another 10 months to age, but I'm guessing it's going to get any clearer than it is right now. What's everyone's best advice on what to use to clear up a mead? Gelatin finings?

2 months is not nearly early enough for clearing. You'll see it eventually start clearing, but I wouldn't even look for signs of clearing before 3-4 months. Around 6 you should probably know if it's really going to get any clearer.

Ah, leave it alone?
And even if it isn't crystal clear when you want to bottle it after those 10 months, sediment won't hurt any.

If you have an impending deadline, and if it appears not to be clearing in time to support that deadline, then I'd recommend hot-mix Sparkolloid as a fining agent. Use the hot-mix version; the cold-mix stuff is different, and only useful for clearing fruit juices that have not been fermented. Sparkolloid has worked for me every time that I needed a stubbornly cloudy mead to clear. It can take up to 4 weeks to completely clear, so allow yourself enough time for it to work.

I have a mead that's been sitting for about 2 months now. I've racked it once (probably about a month ago) and it hasn't cleared up much. It still has another 10 months to age, but I'm guessing it's going to get any clearer than it is right now. What's everyone's best advice on what to use to clear up a mead? Gelatin finings?

If you're planning on aging it 10 more months, just leave it, it'll clear on it's own during that time. If it doesn't, you can always cold crash it or use finings on it during the 9th or 10 month. Regards, GF.

Concur with above comments about leaving it be....

Worry about it about a month to 6 weeks before the "bash".

Then just put it in the fridge for a week and see if that has helped.

Personally you can try anything you want. I've never used sparkolloid, it's not easy to get over here - I usually use a 2 part fining called "Kwik Clear" which does it's thing in 24 to 48 hours.

Then if you can get it clear with a month to go, then I'd also filter it, given the occasion that it's intended for.

regards

fatbloke

Back