Does time fix fusel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
My fement temps got too high, seems like a theme here, and when sampled, my Christmas Ale had an alcohol zing to it. Will time fix this?

Thanks, so it could be okay by Christmas? The alcohol burn was there, followed by a pronounced cinnamon taste. I steeped with four cinn. sticks, although I'm sure it is fusel.

Revvy, you were quicker in the draw, so it might need more time than a couple months, oh well, I guess I can do another while this heals.

Thanks, so it could be okay by Christmas? The alcohol burn was there, followed by a pronounced cinnamon taste. I steeped with four cinn. sticks, although I'm sure it is fusel.

Since we're dealing with a living product, there's no definite answer as to how long...the several months til Christmas will do wonders.

(Have you had someone else with more experience diagnos your beer's condition? Quite a lot of new brewer's self diagnosis tend to be wrong, and nothing more than green beer.)

Since we're dealing with a living product, there's no definite answer as to how long...the several months til Christmas will do wonders.

(Have you had someone else with more experience diagnos your beer's condition? Quite a lot of new brewer's self diagnosis tend to be wrong, and nothing more than green beer.)

No I haven't. First, some disclosure. I brewed this last Thursday, the 14th. It had a SG of 1.066, and yesterday evening it was 1.014 ( know, very young).

5 lbs light lme
3 lbs amber dme
1.75 lbs Munich steepd
.5 Crystal 80L steeped
.25 Chocolate steeped

5 cinnamon sticks 5 min. boil
2 oz fresh grated ginger 5 min boil (I didn't weigh it, so it was probably closer to 2 oz on retrospect). D'oh!!
2 oz orange peel 15 min boil

During the ferment, the vapors coming out of the airlock was annoying to the nose. I wondering know if it isn't the ginger/cinnamon. I hope I didn't overdue it on the ginger. If so, it will hopefully mellow.

Well, i had an Irish Red that fermented in the high 70s....it produced horrible fusel notes. Over a year later, it was still bad. Its the only dumper batch I ever brewed.

Sounds like others have had better luck than me. Hope you fall on their side!

-TOdd

AFAIK fusels do NOT age out.

but, I've never had fusel formation so I can't speak from experience. I want your beer to be tastey though!

I pulled about 6 ounces and tasted it and believe it is the ginger and cinnamon that gave me the "hot" taste. I assumed, due to the higher temp, that it was fusel. Of course, this is a horse of a different color. I think the spices will settle down.

I pulled about 6 ounces and tasted it and believe it is the ginger and cinnamon that gave me the "hot" taste. I assumed, due to the higher temp, that it was fusel. Of course, this is a horse of a different color. I think the spices will settle down.

A lot of people assume their problem is one of the dreaded bogeymen that they read about...But unless you sit with an experienced brewer, especially someone who went through the BJCP training, where they actually get to taste those off flavors...Like Malkore said, even he's not actually tasted it..I have,if you read my thread, tasted bubblegum, which I assume was fuesels as well, but it went away...Evidently in the training you get to taste actual manufactured samples of each off flavor...like a control...But I think that unless we've gone through something like that, or even had an experinced brewer taste our stuff...we shouldn't self diagnose, just because of something we've read or heard...

(I'm saying that of myself as well...)

The only off flavors that most of us can readily identify, is diacytel (buttered popcorn) or Acetobactor (vinegar) because in one way or another we've all tasted both of those things in real life...I believe the other ones are mostly conjecture unless we've tasted a "control" of them..

In other words..Relax...and let time do it's thing...:mug:

(Remember, our beer is tougher than we give it credit.)

Back