Need some HELP fast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theblindguy

Reaction score
Would it be ok to use 3/4cup of Table sugar (cane) to carb/prime a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein (sp?). I have heard that the disadvantage of using table sugar is that it would impart a cidery taste to beer. I dont think it would matter in this case. Will this work and how much table sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch?

i am not sure, I was thinking about doing this with my first batch but waited to get some corn sugar. I just didnt read a lot of good things about using sucrose

I'm no expert, and I have yet to make an apfelwein, but I don't think using table sugar would make much of a difference. Were talking about diluting 3/4 cup in 5 gallons, so it doesn't have much of an impact of flavor, and a cidery flavor wouldn't really matter in an apfelwein anyway. Hopefully EdWort or another apfelwein expert will chime in and give you some more solid advice.

I've carbed with corn sugar and i've carbed with cane sugar. i find no difference, and certainly no cidery flavors. Try this Carbonation Chart

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i exclusively use cane sugar for apfelwein.

Back