American IPA BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On tap now, and loving it. Beautiful caramely-reddish hue, and the aroma is heavenly, lots of sweet apple, honey, pear, pineapple in the nose, with just enough bitterness and maltiness to balance out in the finish.

I had to switch the dryhop based on what I had in stock, I went with 0.5oz Amarillo and 1.0oz Centennial, dryhopped for 28 days.

My wife is really loving it too, as it's fruity, hoppy and flavorful, but it's not your traditional American IPA dry bitter bomb.

I'm going to do this one next! But at 1.060. With 007.

I'm psyched!

How about a pound or two of rye malt, or even rye Crystal malt???

I just bottled this yesterday, I think this is going to be good, started at 1.079, finished at 1.020, used WLP 007.

Very excited, I'll be tasting it in about 3 weeks...

I just bottled this yesterday, I think this is going to be good, started at 1.079, finished at 1.020, used WLP 007.

Very excited, I'll be tasting it in about 3 weeks...

So I got a little ahead of myself and tasted after two weeks, it was not as carbonated as it needs to be yet....

One thing I have to say right off the bat is mine seriously lacks any punch with regards to the hops. The hop charactor is very weak in both flavor and aroma...

I'm wondering if this is because my water is fairly soft, but wow I'm just so dissappointed as I'm quite sure the beer is not going to get any hoppier.

I also tasted a slight "soapy" taste to the beer. This could be part of the beer being green, I can't be sure until I let it sit for a few more weeks. This may also have to do with excessive amounts of cascade hops, as I used it for all the amarillo in this recipe. I'm still researching the soapy taste.

Made this on July 3, 2012. One of the best beers I've brewed to date. Some slight tweaks:

- Mashed at 154 degrees
- Used two packs of safale 05

Original gravity was 1.068, final gravity was 1.014. I was going for a little less malty and think it came out great.

Thanks for recipe!

I'm thinking of doing an extract version of this around the holidays with some tweaks to the hops. Will the specialty grains work for steeping or will I have to do a partial mash?

Winter IPA v2 - 2.5 Gallon - Extract

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- .8 lbs Munich Malt
- .45 lbs Money Malt
- .2275 lbs Crystal 60L
- .2275 lbs Crystal 80L

FERMENTABLES
- 3 lbs Briess Golden Light DME

HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 0.25 oz Chinook @ 60 min
- 0.25 oz Centennial @ 60 min
- 1.25 oz Centennial @ 10 min
- 0.5 oz Cascade @ flameout
- 0.25 oz Centennial @ flameout
- 0.5 oz Cascade dry hop
- 0.25 oz Centennial dry hop

YEAST
- 6g Safale US-05

I am making this today as OP did but on my "The Electric Brewery" clone and adjusted for my efficiency. Will post how it turns out.

Barry

I brewed this. And man, I must say it's good beer. Quite like the description, this is an IPA that knows it's an IPA.

Mine looked more like some Mississippi brewing water was used, but I swear that the rest of my brews can used to read through! I'm sure it was from my excessive dry hopping with pellet hops. None the less, I'll be putting this beer back in line behind the other IPA's on my to-brew list.
Thanks BM.

Jupapabear

1395720612499.jpg

1395720623982.jpg

I thought this would be a great beer for a small batch cask conditioned beer, which I still do. But after reading all the positive comments, I think I will have to do this straight up! Maybe I can tap off a gallon or two and take it down cask condition path.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brew it this morning, all went fine, proud of myself! first time brewing outside with the new burners and the Blichmann pot and milling my grains. I guesstimate about right my preboil volume and end up at a lil over 5 gallons in the fermenter. OG was close at 1.072, pitch 2 pack of safale s-04 and set blow off tube, ( btw I mash at 154F for 60 mins) quick question to BM, do you dry hop in the primary and after 7 days rack to secondary for gelatin? Can't wait to try this one!

Holy crap that thing is going to town!started yesterday, pitched at 68F, and just had to empty the pitcher from the blow off tube! will have to keep an eye on this one!

brewed on the 11th, took a reading today and was down to 1.012,i think I'm ready to dry hop.. did it get that low cause of 2 packs of 04? hope it will not be overpowered by alcohol level... will drink moderately for sure( sampler was awesome)

brewed on the 11th, took a reading today and was down to 1.012,i think I'm ready to dry hop.. did it get that low cause of 2 packs of 04? hope it will not be overpowered by alcohol level... will drink moderately for sure( sampler was awesome)

Final attenuation isn't determined by how much yeast you start with. One pack or two, by the end of the fermentation, the yeast have multiplied a billion-fold.

What drives thorough attentuation (low FG) is the mash temp and mash rest time. The lower the mash temp, the more fermentables you have. The same holds true for longer rest times.

A 148 degree mash at 90 minutes will be much lower in FG than a 156 degree for 45 minutes. :mug:

Thx for the explanation BM, I mashed at 154F for 60 mins cause I chicken out to try 159F for 45 mins seeing that others got stuck fermentation... maybe next batch, quick question, is it ok to dry hop in primary?

Thx for the explanation BM, I mashed at 154F for 60 mins cause I chicken out to try 159F for 45 mins seeing that others got stuck fermentation... maybe next batch, quick question, is it ok to dry hop in primary?

I dry hop in the primary all the time now. Just make sure fermentation is complete. You'll also want to put a piece of cheese cloth or a 1-gallon paint strainer over the stiff end of your racking cane. That will effectively filter the beer but not clog. :mug:

36 hrs on the gas, just poured half a pint, think that stuff gonna make me like hoppy brew!

Not sure what happen to this one... Was good, went on the road for 2 weeks, came back and all hops taste/flavor/smell gone... had to dump it... the other 3 kegs were fine tho... sucks cause the first couple pints were awesome...

Just brewed this over the weekend and used my new hop spider for the first time. Great to keep all those hops out of the fermenter, but I didn't notice a significant hop aroma from the wort and and there was very little hop taste either. Just tasted very sweet.

I know the hop spider pros/cons are well hashed out on the forum, but my questions is more of a what to do from here.

Have others that brewed this recipe noticed significant hop aroma and taste from the wort? Or does it appear only after dry hop/ fermentation?

If other's have noticed strong hop aroma/flavor before dry hopping/fermentation, what do I do now? Increase the volume of hops I dry hop with? :confused:

Just brewed this over the weekend and used my new hop spider for the first time. Great to keep all those hops out of the fermenter, but I didn't notice a significant hop aroma from the wort and and there was very little hop taste either. Just tasted very sweet.

I know the hop spider pros/cons are well hashed out on the forum, but my questions is more of a what to do from here.

Have others that brewed this recipe noticed significant hop aroma and taste from the wort? Or does it appear only after dry hop/ fermentation?

If other's have noticed strong hop aroma/flavor before dry hopping/fermentation, what do I do now? Increase the volume of hops I dry hop with? :confused:

Until the beer ferments and the yeast falls out, hops flavor and aroma will be smothered by the sweet wort. Let the beer do it's thing, and the hops will rise to the occasion.

brewed this about a week ago, also used a hop spider. the hops smelled fantastic...until they got thrown into the boil then the aroma was not as present. now after a week in my ferm chamber i can smell that beautiful hop aroma when i open the lid..cant wait til its ready to drink.

A week in the fermentation chamber and I have the same result. Beautiful hop aroma. Forgive the doubting mind of this newbie. I know my shame...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407108187.737480.jpg brewing it right now. High hopes for this one - smells awesome so far!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Oh hell yes! This may be the best beer I've brewed so far. Wasn't planning to brew between now and October 15th but after kegging this one I think I may have to get batch #2 going! Thanks BM! Looking at the black pearl porter as well...decisions,decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can’t believe I just found this recipe today.
Sounds like a great Fall IPA so I might just have to brew it this weekend.:rockin:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t get Honey Malt here so was thinking of subbing with Melanoidin Malt or Aromatic Malt. Which one would work best or is there another alternative?

I’m also thinking of doing a split batch and making a Belgian IPA doing a 2 or 3 hop combination from Belma, Falconer’s Flight, Galaxy, Chinook, Citra, Columbus, Summit, Willamette, EKG, Saaz, Halltauer and Nugget. Fermented with WLP500 on the cold side (65 to 70F) to suppress the banana.

Just need to decide on them hops.

Can’t believe I just found this recipe today.
Sounds like a great Fall IPA so I might just have to brew it this weekend.:rockin:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t get Honey Malt here so was thinking of subbing with Melanoidin Malt or Aromatic Malt. Which one would work best or is there another alternative?

I’m also thinking of doing a split batch and making a Belgian IPA doing a 2 or 3 hop combination from Belma, Falconer’s Flight, Galaxy, Chinook, Citra, Columbus, Summit, Willamette, EKG, Saaz, Halltauer and Nugget. Fermented with WLP500 on the cold side (65 to 70F) to suppress the banana.

Just need to decide on them hops.

My coin came down "heads". Melanoidin. :mug:

So Im finally going to brew this on the weekend.
I'll only have time to do the original version.
However I overlooked the Glacier hops for dry hopping.
What would be the best sub?

I have chinook, columbus, perle, wilammette, northern brewer, tettnang, saaz, target, east kent goldings, fuggels, styrian goldings, aurora, (super styrian), nugget, cluster, mittlefruh.

Thanks.

Hey BierMuncher,

I used this recipe as a base to brew an IPA that was balanced and enjoyable. Your thought process and comments really helped guide me in crafting a fine drink. Entered it in a competition this weekend and took second place with the brew.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Yukonhijack,

I added 10% of the base malt to the recipe, had to substitute the crystal malts based on what was available. I also mashed at 157 for an hour.

I loved the aroma of the glacier hops so I doubled the amount in the dry hopping.

This beer was very drinkable with a nice malty backbone and some residual sweetness that finished out with a nice hoppy note.

Keg is empty now so it is time for another brew session for this one.

So Im finally going to brew this on the weekend.
I'll only have time to do the original version.
However I overlooked the Glacier hops for dry hopping.
What would be the best sub?

I have chinook, columbus, perle, wilammette, northern brewer, tettnang, saaz, target, east kent goldings, fuggels, styrian goldings, aurora, (super styrian), nugget, cluster, mittlefruh.

Thanks.

SWMBO was supposed to be working on that weekend but got sick so I couldn't brew it.

I have rescheduled for sometime around Easter; can anyone answer my question about the Glacier hops?

SWMBO was supposed to be working on that weekend but got sick so I couldn't brew it.

I have rescheduled for sometime around Easter; can anyone answer my question about the Glacier hops?

I still have this one in the brew schedule for sometime in March or April and wonder what I could replace the glacier with.
Something minty like Northern Brewer, Aurora (Super Styrian) or Perle?

Also I have about 1lb of Columbus that I would like to use; would it change the flavour too much if I used that instead of the Centennial?

I could also only swap it out only for the boil and leave the Centennial in for the dry hop.

Thanks!;)

Back