EBC III with Infinite Power Control: Buy or Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear419

Reaction score
I like High Gravity's EBC III (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/EBC-III-with-Infinite-Power-Control-306p3858.htm), but it seems crazy expensive at $800. Does anyone have a rough idea what building a box with similar functionality would cost? My machining tools are currently limited to a cordless drill and a dremel so I would probably need to buy additional tools as well.

I am confident I can build one with patience, but am pretty sure I will f- it up a few times along the way. Just trying to get an idea if the savings are worth the additional headache.

Thanks

I am starting to order parts for a DIY version of this box. My target is <$300 for a 1 PID version including kettle heating element and wiring. I think that the EBC III version is reasonably priced, but want to customize my panel, and some safety features, and save a few bucks in the process.

I am starting to order parts for a DIY version of this box. My target is <$300 for a 1 PID version including kettle heating element and wiring. I think that the EBC III version is reasonably priced, but want to customize my panel, and some safety features, and save a few bucks in the process.

For this setup a 2nd PID is kind of useless. They just have it running a pump which is easier to just run the entire time. There is really no reason to have a pump turning on and off in a herms setup.

I bet with 1 PID and no PWM (Since you can run the PID in manual) you can get under $300

FYI,
This build went well. By the time I bought a few punches and other tools, the cost was at $300 including heading element insulation. You could save a few bucks if you compromised on a cheaper enclosure, less switches, no PID control, etc. You could also upgrade and squeeze a second PID and SSR in this size panel if necessary. Not sure if I will use it but I did implement an "auto" pump feature to run the pump when the element is on to prevent scorching during the mash.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ebciii-inspired-ebiab-build-368976/

When (if) I go 3 vessel someday I'd like to use the ebcIII controller or something very similar for a 10g system.

If I were to do it I'd forget the herms and use rims setup with a pump wired independently from the controller. Run a 120v element off the "pump" outlet and once the water is heated to strike temps in the HLT the 120v element in the MLT will have no trouble to maintain mash temps.

When (if) I go 3 vessel someday I'd like to use the ebcIII controller or something very similar for a 10g system.

If I were to do it I'd forget the herms and use rims setup with a pump wired independently from the controller. Run a 120v element off the "pump" outlet and once the water is heated to strike temps in the HLT the 120v element in the MLT will have no trouble to maintain mash temps.

Interesting idea.
My setup is using a low power 12V 15Watt pump, so the PID relay and switch current ratings are not an issue. Most 120v heating elements, however, are using 15-20amps so you need a contactor or heavy duty switch.

jCOSbrew said:
Interesting idea.
My setup is using a low power 12V 15Watt pump, so the PID relay and switch current ratings are not an issue. Most 120v heating elements, however, are using 15-20amps so you need a contactor or heavy duty switch.

I don't know this for sure, but I think the "pump" switch is the same rating as the heat switch on the ebcIII, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd check into it before trying anything.

Back