Pumpkin Scorching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
This may have been asked, but didn't see it. Should I be worried about the pumpkin scorching when adding it to the boil? I am going to use the canned and bake it for an hour at 350. When I add it to the kettle, will it scorch? I'm assuming its so dense that it would sink to the bottom right where the heat source is...Do I need to keep stirring throughout the entire boil, or don't even worry?

Any help is appreciated!

Just did a pumpkin ale exactly like you are describing. I baked the pumpkin at 350 on a cookie sheet, collected the pumpkin matter and added it slowly at the start of the boil. With a bit of stirring the pumpkin pretty much broke up and was not heavy enough to sink to the bottom. I had no scorching at all on the bottom of my kettle.

Watch the baked pumpkin though. I spread it very thin and it make it difficult to get some of the pumpkin out of the pan. Either keep the layer a bit thicker (around 1/4 inch) or bake at a slightly lower temp and keep your eye on it.

Thanks Jekster...I will watch as I stir it into the boil and how I spread it in the pan for baking!

Back