Question about Joe's Quick Grape Mead..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blewis1984

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-quick-grape-mead-57190/

So a buddy and I just made this a couple days ago. Unfortunately, we didn't pay very close attention and used a 96oz bottle of juice instead of 64oz ::facepalm::

What can we expect to get out of this? Will it just be really grapey?

I posted this question under the above thread, but since that section doesn't get much attention I decided to ask here.

It should be just fine. The ABV will be slightly lower, but you probably won't even notice. The only modification I make is to add more than 1/2 Campden tablet. I prefer 1.5 Campden tablets because EC-1118 can be a really hard-to-stop yeast.

Thanks for the response. Why would the ABV be lower? I would've figured it would be higher. More juice = more sugar = more alcohol?

I'm still a huge noob, so go easy on me.

Oh, it's topped up with water? In that case yes, I would have expected higher abv and more grapeyness, though I'm no expert so maybe we're missing something!

Yeah, it's still 1 gallon, just more juice than water with the way I screwed it up. I just hope it's not too bad. Guess only time will tell.

Thanks for the response. Why would the ABV be lower? I would've figured it would be higher. More juice = more sugar = more alcohol?

I'm still a huge noob, so go easy on me.

No. Your question is quite reasonable. The recipe is for a 1 gallon batch. If you use more juice and the volume goes higher than 1 gallon there is a dilution of the honey. If you keep the volume the same and just use more juice, then yes, the starting gravity should be a little higher and there would not be any dilution (and might actually get a little more alcohol).

I was thinking that you'd be seeing a volume greater than one gallon (equivalent scaled up), but if that is not the case then you are quite correct.

Thanks, Medsen. I don't feel like such a noob, after all. I hope it turns out alright. And a little more alcohol would definitely alright with me. :drunk:

Back