Carb Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So I realized I made a dumb mistake after opening my first beer...forgot to boil priming sugar in water, instead I just dumped it into wort before bottling. Is this going to significantly affect my carbonation? It's an IPA too...really would have liked to have some head on this.

Plus it also seems to be a bit soapy, I used some no rinse iodine sanitizer and this time I actually didn't rinse and used the recommended concentration. Looks like this batch is going to be a bit of a disappointment...

So I realized I made a dumb mistake after opening my first beer...forgot to boil priming sugar in water, instead I just dumped it into wort before bottling. Is this going to significantly affect my carbonation? It's an IPA too...really would have liked to have some head on this.

Plus it also seems to be a bit soapy, I used some no rinse iodine sanitizer and this time I actually didn't rinse and used the recommended concentration. Looks like this batch is going to be a bit of a disappointment...

The boiling is more of a sanitation issue generally. You used dextrose correct?It really should not affect the carbonation - give it more time.

As far as the soapyness, if you used the correct concentration and dumped it out of your vessel, the no rinse-sanitzer shouldn't cause it.

Depending on what you are describing as soapy, it may just be the hops flavors. I know I have heard hoppy beers described as such. Just give it some time in the bottles, it will probably be great. How long has it been bottled?

The boiling is more of a sanitation issue generally. You used dextrose correct?It really should not affect the carbonation - give it more time.

As far as the soapyness, if you used the correct concentration and dumped it out of your vessel, the no rinse-sanitzer shouldn't cause it.

Good, good that's a relief at least. I did use dextrose, not THAT silly. Also its only been 4 days since bottling...I opened one to see if there were any major problems and so I obviously cant come to any conclusions yet.

As for the soapness I seem to be able to taste it but also theres large a cluster of bubbles taking up most of the bottle after I pour. But then again I wouldnt think an iodine sanitizer would make it soapy...so im confused.

I've yet to bottle a beer that was drinkable in less than 3 weeks. Bottle conditioning needs time to ferment again for carbonation, then the yeast need to settle down and the beer needs time to condition. Being 4 days in, you're smack dab in the middle of the yeast eating that bottling sugar, don't get down yet, you've still got beer! Plus, IPAs, having more hops in them, tend to mask goofy tastes A LOT more than other beers do.

I'm still fairly new to this.So i prime each bottle.Yet to have a bad batch!It may just be in my head,but i think you get better consistency that way.So far no flat beer and no bombs:D

It seems like hopefully the soapy bubbles was limited to a couple bottles. It's definitely going to be a good brew.

That said, I seem to have an ongoing problem. My bottles tend to be quite variable in their carbonation (some are fine and others have some carb but no head at all). I figure this is either due to some bottles not fully closed (i use PET bottles and flip tops) or perhaps my bottling method. I decided that because my primary has a spout, I wouldn't buy any siphoning equipment. So my method tends to go like this, dissolve priming sugar, pour into wort, let sit for 10 or 20 minutes, and bottle. I don't stir because I don't want to make it cloudy after I've put so much effort into a more clear beer. What should I do here?

You really should rack to a bottling bucket. Boil the sugar water, put it in the bottling bucket and then siphon the beer from your primary onto the sugar water. This will allow the sugar to get good and evenly mixed. When you just dump it into the fermenter, if you don't stir, your concentration will be mixed (i.e., some sugar here but not there...).

Disaster averted, errr made up. Most of the bottles are now amply carbed and some a bit overboard. The soapyness from the iodophor seems to have cleaned out by the yeast thankfully. Is that something that the yeast is supposed to do over time? It seems that only the bottle I opened after 4 days had the soapy bubbles in the bottom.

So my method tends to go like this, dissolve priming sugar, pour into wort, let sit for 10 or 20 minutes, and bottle. I don't stir because I don't want to make it cloudy after I've put so much effort into a more clear beer. What should I do here?

you should buy another bucket with a spigot.

what i do:
boil 1 cup o water to 4 oz of dextrose. cool in freezer. pour into sanitized bucket. drain beer into bucket.
bottle

Is this a quadrajunk, holley or edelbrok?

I keg and force carbonate. But I have found that the soapy flavor is consistent with too little carbonation yet. I can get this if I underpressurize or try to drink it too soon. With enough carbonation, the soapy flavor goes away. I've never correlated it with anything to do with sanitizer, soap residue, or the like.

One of the things I'm still wondering, even after browsing this thread, is whether it takes a significant amount of time to build carbonation.

I know for sure that I under-primed the bottles in my most recent batch (I had misjudged the final volume). I was using the generic priming sugar from my LHBS, which I'm fairly sure was corn sugar, and I think I added just over half of the amount I probably should have.

It's a high-gravity beer, and I am tasting it out on a weekly basis just to keep tabs on it. The bottles are probably sitting at around 60-70 F. The first bottle at 1 week gave a small "pst" upon opening but produced no bubbles. Should I still be holding out hope that I will eventually get some kind of carbonation?

I'm still fairly new to this.So i prime each bottle.Yet to have a bad batch!It may just be in my head,but i think you get better consistency that way.So far no flat beer and no bombs:D

In terms of consistency you would be much better off mixing the sugar
into the beer and bottling from a bucket.

Measuring something 50 times is way more susceptible to error than
measuring it once and dissolving it in liquid.

Regarding carb time, I'm sure it's variable but after 5 days @ 70f my
first beer pops a fliptop loudly and has a thin head when poured but
could certainly be way more carbonated. I'm estimating at least 1
more week.

Thx.

So I can keep hope alive?

If not, I'll relax, not worry, and drink a flat homebrew.

Is this a quadrajunk, holley or edelbrok?

If this has a meaning of some kind, I'm unaware of what it is.

After about 3 weeks of bottling now many of my bottles are getting hard to open. Besides that, beer turned out great...best ive made so far.

Next up is a vanilla cream ale.

Give that man a prize. One more week in the bottle, just like he called it, and I have a light lacy head and bubbles streaming in the glass.

Even though I underprimed, based on these results I feel like I can expect to see more bubbles over time. On the other hand, flat-ish kind of works for this style, so it's going to be a struggle to keep myself away from it in the meantime.

Really, really, all I wanted was to see those bubble streams on the sides of the glass. They are my personal favorite.

Back