Have you ever made an ice concentrated brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyzippers

Reaction score
Well? Have you?

I'm not interested in debating the legality of it because there are plenty of other threads out there on the subject.

What I'm asking is have you done it and if so, how?

Freeze the liquid in gallon jugs. Invert the jugs. The alcohol will melt first. Once the block of ice is clear you've melted all the alcohol and can discard the clear block of ice remaining. I tried it with a cider. It worked pretty good. It will concentrate the flavors as well as the ABV content. Hope this helps some. Only tried it once a few years ago so I don't really have any practical advice except it wasn't really that hard to try. Hope some of this helps

That's exactly what's happening on my kitchen right now. I was wondering if anyone else had any different techniques.

The reason for doing this on the brew in question is that I apparently mis measured my water in sparging and was severely under on my OG. I didn't catch it until I transferred to my carboy after the boil and realized I had about a gallon and a half more than I should have. I must have seriously spaced out during the sparge! I figured this might help with the flavor a bit by removing some water. It was an experimental brew anyway, so why not experiment with some different techniques too?

Back