bottling tomorrow. some concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roopert

Reaction score
Irish Stout. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary. Here is picture of what it looks like. Are those things on top , mold? Also when I put priming sugar in, do I need more yeast? Or do they wake up? Also no bottle tree to let bottles drip dry after sanitizing, can I run dishwasher to get dishwasher clean then use clean prongs in empty, clean dishwasher to let drip dry? My first beer, any help is appreciated. Thanks

ForumRunner_20121124_101941.png

Looks fine to me.

You don't need to add more yeast for bottle priming.

If you are sanitizing with starsan, you don't want your bottles to dry before bottling into them. It is the acidity of the sanitizing solution which prevents bad stuff from growing.

Looks like yeast to me. When racking to the bottling bucket they will likely stick to the side of the carboy. Either way, no harm. You don't need more yeast.

Mold and infections tend to be larger and wisper mats of 'stuff' the things in your pictures look like bits of krausen/protein that just didn't settle out. I am by no means a mold expert though. There is/was a 'show us your mold' thread, complete with pictures, somewhere on HBT that I can't for the life of me find now.
When you go to bottle just take a swig of the beer before you mix in your priming sugar. Even if it is mold/infection as long as the beer tastes good it's not worth dumping. Even if it tastes 'off' time can make up for lots of flaws. Often times the guiding star in brewing is 'Does it taste good'.
As far as more yeast on bottling: You generally don't need to add more. There are a few specialty beers that bottle condition with different strains than they ferment with but those are they exception not the rule. When I bottle I put a couple ounces of sanitizer in the bottle, cover it with my hand and shake for 20-30 seconds. I pour the sanitizer into the next bottle and place the first one upside down in a large mixing bowl to drain. I can fit ~8 bottles in the bowl before it's full. By the time I have 8 bottles covered in sanitizer it's been a couple minutes(minimum contact time is 60s for iodophor and star-san) and I start filling those sanitized bottles with beer.
If you have a spray bottle you could just spray down the dishwasher drawer with sanitizer and save yourself the cleaning cycle. There's no reason your method won't work though. You could even do a load of dishes while you're at it so you don't waste resources.

Back