Will this shelf hold 4 kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Soon, I will be upgrading my kegerator to a newer refrigerator. The bottom shelf in the new fridge (shown below) is made of tempered glass in a metal frame over two drawers. My question is, will this shelf be strong enough to support 4 kegs and a 10# CO2 tank?

Because of my brewing schedule it is unlikely that all 4 kegs will be full at the same time; one or more of them will probably be half empty or more. Still, I sometimes do have all 4 kegs running at once so the shelf needs to be sturdy enough to handle that.

ForumRunner_20121103_205543.png

probably not. i had the same setup in my refrigerator, and i pulled it out and replaced it with a plywood setup with plenty of legs in front to compensate for the hump

probably not. i had the same setup in my refrigerator, and i pulled it out and replaced it with a plywood setup with plenty of legs in front to compensate for the hump

Yes, me too. I added some 2x4 "legs" to the sides and front and replaced the shelf with plywood. I still use under the shelf for storage but I removed the drawers.

I used the same shelf, but added a full piece of 1/2" plywood to the top along with 2 - 2X4 legs in front on each side, similiar to what Yooper said, HOWEVER...I didn't replace the shelf, I just used the wood to add stability. I use it for my ferm chamber & last time I brewed 3 batches at once. It supported 3 full glass carboys with no signs of weakness. I would never have considered testing it without added stability though.

Thanks everyone. It seems prudent to at least replace the glass with plywood. I would like to keep the drawers if I can, but I'll take them out and add support legs if it seems necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Apparently no one ever tried it because mine will hold 4 full kegs and a 10# co2 bottle with no problem. Has been for 3 years.

Apparently no one ever tried it because mine will hold 4 full kegs and a 10# co2 bottle with no problem. Has been for 3 years.

No tried with 4 5gallon carboys I just didn't like the bow I was getting so welded a square to fit in between the shelfs for center support better safe then sorry Murphy's Law

bja said:

This is good to know, thanks.

bja said:

Yes, but if you have ever cut glass... One good scratch with pressure applied in the right place = multiple pieces.

Back