Anybody from the Elmira/Corning area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBHoW

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone is in the Elmira or Corning area out there. I am located in Elmira and know a couple home brewers but was wondering if anyone else was around. Post here if you are!

Cool. What kind of beer do you usually brew? Do you get your supplies locally or mail order?

I brew just about anything. I am currently using mini ash kits from horseheads brewing but I am in the process of putting together an automated ebrew system.

Corning. 10 gallon HERMS, but still run some extract from time to time. Most supplies come from Austin Homebrew, beerfittings.com, Morebeer, Sunset Hydro in Horseheads and Stuart Martin in Elmira.

I would be interested in getting together. Current plans are to brew up 10 gallons minimash kit of ipa to age in a barrel and then brewing on hold until new system is set up. Name is Mike Buck....email is [email protected]

Did you get that thing brewed yet? I would gladly come give you a hand. What type of system are you getting together?

New system will be either 2 or 3 kettle rims system with a bcs contoller. It will be an e-brew...parts are slowly rolling in.

Oh how I envy you! I have been contemplating an electric system just don't have the extra coin.....

Corning, NY here. How'd that IPA turn out? I'm making the switch from extract to all-grain this weekend and I'm looking to stink the house up with hops. Anyone want to get together for a brew?

YoSoySauce! Pleasure meeting you today bro! We will get this brew thing kicked off as soon as Santa leaves town. Get that mash tun ready for some big brews ahead!

Great to meet you, FermentNEthinG. Looking forward to some killer brews. I ran outta time today due to technical difficulties and didn't get to brew, but I should be around the 28th through the 6th. Anyone up for brewing then?

I'm up for a club. For "agenda" items, I'm thinking we could

1) each bring a homebrew or two to taste, critique, offer tips, etc. I'll see if I can find a judging template.

2) Decide on something to brew together for the next meeting. Once a style and a recipe are decided on, during the meeting, for the following meeting, we have the next host gather ingredients and split the costs when brewing.

3) discuss setups, trends, beer events, etc.

I can host in Corning. I have a small upper-floor apartment with my girlfriend. I understand there's a mix of teachers and property owners on this thread, and I'm a teacher as well. That means there are no "school nights," at least for me, until January 6th. How's a week from right now? That's Thursday, January 3, at 4 PM?

Anyone who's interested, let everyone know on this thread and I'll PM you my address. If another date works better, feel free to suggest that, too.

I am in as well. Would it be possible to push the time back to 5? I work till 4ish.

Eric from sunlight supply is interested in a club as well and said something about the possibility of hosting at the shop. I am in the process of getting ready for a move so I can't host a meeting until after we are in the new house.

Heya guys. Great to finally see a little push on getting something started around here. Tuesdays and Thursdays are no good since I have HVAC class those nights. Be done in February though! Any of the other nights I can schedule up and host a little something at the shop, Sunset Hydro and Home Brew. Sunlight supply is one our wholesalers MParsons!

Cheers fellas!

Looks like we have myself, MParsons, oldbucket, and a possible TimBHow for Thursday at 5. Eric, that's a bummer you can't make it, but hopefully we'll catch up next time.

I'm thinking of retrying a chipotle ale that night. I had one that turned out a little strange, so I'm going to try it again in a 5-gallon batch using all grain and extracting oil from peppers instead of dumping powder in. Sound like fun?

Sounds almost as odd as my chili cheese lambic! Equipped with extra cheesy fuggles and chili peppers....needless to say it came out like hot sweat from a million gym socks... No bueno!

Our meeting went well last Thursday. Oldbucket, along with his son, "Youngbucket" and I were in attendance. We swapped a few homebrews, and Oldbucket's Imperial IPA was a highlight. Oldbucket, can we have the recipe?

Oldbucket also talked about a cool new 1-tier, all-electric rig he was putting together to complement the kickass barroom project he's also involved in.

We brewed an all-grain oatmeal stout using BIAB, following this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/smooth-oatmeal-stout-50756/

...substituting UK Fuggle hops and Nottingham Ale yeast, due to availability.

The OG was very low (1.019) possibly due to low mash temp? Although I aimed for a mash temp of 156, temped the strike water and used the same temp for sparge water using this online calculator http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php, I didn't temp the mash, so it may have been off.

I've read that efficiency can suffer when using BIAB. Either way, the resulting wort was pleasingly clear. Does anyone have ideas for improving efficiency using BIAB?

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out, though. The crap coming out of the airlock (I put 5+ gallons in a 5 gallon bucket) tastes good. Most of my brews are way too sweet, and I've never had a "light" stout before. It might turn out to be a dark, bitter session beer. If the mash temp was low, I'm hoping that we got mostly fermentable sugars out of it, so the product will be dry and have at least a little ethanol kick.

In the meantime, today, I racked my first AG IPA (combining a couple of recipes) to secondary and, while doing some reading, discovered that I had dry hopped too early. It turns out you're not supposed to add hops when you pitch yeast. If you want to dry hop, you should do so during secondary. According to "The Internet," when your airlock smells nice and flowery during primary, it's because you're losing all of your aroma from the hops. Folks also say that if you dry hop too long/too early, you risk getting a rotted vegetable taste. I didn't taste any veggies when I sampled, so hopefully I should be alright. I added more hops, put the airlock on, and into the closet it went.

I'm looking forward to a next meeting. For a next brew, a couple of things were mentioned. FermentNEthinG had talked about a lambic, which sounds bitter, fruity, complex, and intriguing. I'm also thinking it would be enlightening to try to isolate and get to know hops flavors/aromas by brewing a neutral ale, separating into 1-gallon carboys, and adding different finishing hops to each.

Who wants to host?

Anyone interested in gathering Saturday for a tasting and sharing? Not ready to brew but always ready to taste. We could do a horizontal or explore some hops. Who is available?

Not sure what a horizontal is but a vertical is when you taste different vintages of the same beer.

A horizontal is a tasting of the same type of beer from different breweries. What time would work for people?

Back