Incomplete Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitbull-brewer

Reaction score
I was gifted some ingredients for a gluten free beer recipe. I currently have
3.3 lbs- White sorghum syrup 45de
1 oz- Crystal hops pellets
and a yeast intended for wit and wheat beers.
My question is what should i add to make this a decent beer. I am new to brewing so I do want to keep it pretty simple as far as the recipe goes, any help will be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from ya'll

at what point during brewing would I add each of those, and how much should I add if i am brewing a 2 gallon batch? I have never used an additive like that before

Your ingredients as is, will make a decent, drinkable beer (sorghum tang arguements ensue).
Using a bit of those ingredients will make it different, not necessary better or worse, but I like adding those too.
Technically, you should be using bitter orange peel and sweet orange peel, but I used regular naval (sweet) orange peel the time before last and didn't have an issue.

You can vary the amounts. With two gallons, I probably wouldn't go for more than 1/3 ounce of either. I'd have to find my numbers somewhere. You can add it anywhere from 5 minutes left of the boil to the steep phase and maybe again in the secondary (or end of primary, which I forgot to do on this last batch).

Add 'em at 5 minutes before flame-out. They'll add a subtle flavor. For a 2 gallon batch, I'd say between 1/2 to 1 tsp of each. Make sure you get bitter orange peel. If you're feeling creative, you can also try adding 1/2 oz of chamomile flowers *or* 1/2 tsp of white or black pepper; you might also like adding about 4 oz of honey to add a nice aroma and dryness.

Here is the picture of the GF Witbier. pretty darn cloudy but has a great aroma. i understand what people have been saying bout the sorghum after taste though. I am hoping that age will help mellow that out. but not a bad tasting beer thus far. my FG is 1.010 which is around what it should be at. I am going to rack tonight or tomorrow and try yeast washing as well.

beer.jpg

I know this thread died but I thought I would say that i gave some of this to my father in law's wife and she loved it. Hadnt had a beer since going gluten free a year or so ago. She missed a good beer the most when she had to switch. it inspired her to try some other gluten free beers. So thanks for the help again you made a family member of mine discover beer again just in a different form.

Always good to get more people drinking the stuff. What do you think of it now that it's been up for a few months? I've found that age helps with the sorghum flavor, but if you went heavy on the orange, sometimes it's better up front.

Latest posts

Back