Corney sealing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdjshaw

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 10 gal corney for secondary fermentation and when I was doing the initial cleaning I realized the lid wouldn't seal completely and leaked liquid out, which none of my other corneys do. I pressurized it and tweaked the fit on the lid a little and checked for leaks and it held pressure. My concern is that, without pressure, the lid isn't completely air tight. Can I get koodies in my beer during secondary?

putting some keg lube on the o-ring might help seal with no pressure. sometimes mine seals with no pressure. genna have to tip that sucker upside down to figure it out tho.

I have a bunch that don't seal until you pressurize them. Once the are pressurized to about 30psi I bleed it out to about 12 psi (serving pressure) and never have any problems with leaks. Some are tricky with the lid needing to go on a certain way and pulling on the handle while pressurizing. But once pressurized it's all good.

I have a bunch that don't seal until you pressurize them. Once the are pressurized to about 30psi I bleed it out to about 12 psi (serving pressure) and never have any problems with leaks. Some are tricky with the lid needing to go on a certain way and pulling on the handle while pressurizing. But once pressurized it's all good.

Yeah, as I stated previously, this one will seal under pressure. I'm trying to figue out if I use it for secondary fermenting when it's not under pressure if I risk something getting in. I geuss I can put the bare minimum of pressure on it and secondary that way? I usually dont transfer until I reach final gravity so it shouldn't really produce anymore CO2. What do you guys think?

[...] What do you guys think?

I think trying to "naturally carb" in a keg that needs fairly high pressure to seal is risky, because the CO2 pumped into the keg is going to be absorbed fairly quickly, and the seal might not hold.

I'd at least try some keg lube on the lid O-ring plus stick dimes under the bail feet to get that sucker to hold tight on its own...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back