oaking cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I have 4 batches of cider that I'd like to oak. They're all clear and ready to bottle.

I have 3/4"x3/4" white oak cubes my dad cut. They have not been charred/toasted or anything, just raw oak.

My plan is to rack a gallon of each batch into a one gallon carboy, bottle the other 4 gallons, and oak the one gallon till desirable taste and bottle.

My problem is I don't know how to use these cubes. How many should I use, how do I toast them, how long, ect. Any oaking help would be great.

I racked 1 gallon of apfelwein onto 1 oz of med toasted french oak chips for about 2 weeks, gave it a nice light oak flavor. To prep them I steamed them for 20 minutes.

Any info on how to toast oak cubes?

Cookie sheet, aluminum foil, and a toaster oven or broiler. Put them in for about 2 minutes, then flip the cubes to toast the other side. Repeat until you get your desired level of toastedness. DO NOT leave the oven unattended, you are working with a firestarter here and it won't take much for this to burst into flames.

Back