My first AG -- a SMaSH Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooManX

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be doing my first AG BIAB. Here's what I'm planning on. Thoughts suggestions.

8lbs Weyermann Pilsener
3 Gals Strike @ 163F
Mash 60 mins @ 152F

Sparge 1
2.4 Gal @ 183

Sparge 2
2.4 Gal @ 183

Boil 60min
Add 1oz Saaz 60min
Add 1oz Saaz 20min

Cool to 65F and Pitch
White Labs Czech Budejovice

Ferment 3 weeks at 60F
Chill 2 weeks at 34F
Then Keg and Carb at 34F 2 weeks

Anything I'm missing? Suggestions? I'm new and willing to take advice. Thanks.

Looks like you are a bit light on the bitterness for a Pils, but that is an issue of personal taste. If you can ferment closer to 50 for a cleaner fermentation, a diacetyl rest might be a good idea before dropping the temp, at that point I would rack to a keg and lager for 4-6 weeks.

Good luck

If I were you I'd reduce some variables. You're mixing a new mashing technique with lager fermentation and a really challenging style to brew successfully; such a concatenation can (and probably will) make the process challenging enough that you'll experience considerable frustration.

If you're used to fermenting ales, stick with those techniques. Pils beers - especially with that yeast - require a long, cool (cooler than 60F) ferments along with considerably longer lagering times for best results.

Also, your mash might be problematic. In this case you're dealing with a malt and style which can benefit immeasurably from step-mashing. Although (in the interest of full disclosure) you can be successful with a single-temperature infusion mash with that malt, the best Pils beers are brewed with multiple temperature steps to ensure full extraction and reduction of haze precursors.

If I were you, I'd stick with a tried-and-true recipe from my library and simply switch from, say, extract-and-steep to all-grain. Dial that technique in until it's second nature. After all, you know what that beer should taste/look/smell like already, so you'll know if something's off-kilter. Pale ale is a good bet - you can use a well-modified pale ale malt from which a monkey can get excellent results from a single-infusion mash. Once you get that recipe dialed in, dial in a couple more tried-and-true recipes. Then start going further afield with challenging styles like Pils.

I don't mean to be all "Poo poo poo, discouragement discouragement." I want you to be as successful as possible whenever you try something new. In my experience, that means ruthlessly reducing variables to the point where you can reliably say "This effect is related to that cause".

You dig?
Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Thanks guys.

I toned down the bitterness on purpose. I want to brew a lager because the ambient temps are right at this time of year to maintain 50-60F easily and my pipeline is moving along nicely and I have a decent stockpile, not to mention a pils would taste great right about the time it's ready.

I'll tone down the temp and lengthen the lager time. So far my beers (all PM) have been coming out above my expectations so I wanted to really shoot for the moon. I don't mind falling on my face.

Aren't I planning on a step mash? I'll research a little more to see what temps I should alter in my step. I was planning on doing two sparges which would pretty much replicate a step mash (I think).

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

A step mash generally includes lower temperature rests (such as in the 120s to help break down proteins, or in the 140s to produce a more fermentable wort). You are just sparging with hotter water (which is good process) but not really a step mash since you are raising the temperature after the conversion is complete.

Thanks Oldsock. I was thinking "step up" in temp and not "step down" to rest. That clarifies it for me. I appreciate it.

Bob, I definitely hear what you're saying. I just want to get a lager sitting so bad I can't explain it. I'll be brewing another AG batch soon after (something more standard). Thanks for the advice.

Brewed this tonight. Mashed 3gals @153 90 mins. Sparge 1.5 gals @171. 15mins sparge 1.5 gals @ 171. Boil add 2oz saaz hops start of boil. Boil 60 mins. Added 1 packet ahs abv booster. OG = 1.049. Cooled to 70 and pitched. Is sitting working its way down to 65F. Will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Active fermentation starting today 58F Very exciting stuff.

Active fermentation starting today 58F Very exciting stuff.

That's still kinda warm for that yeast.

WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast
Pilsner lager yeast from Southern Czech Republic. Produces dry and crisp lagers, with low diacetyl production.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F

Starting it at 70 and then holding it at 65 down to 58 might give you a boat load of fruity flavors and some weird off-flavors.

Listen to Yooper. She helped me with my first lager and to date it's still my favorite beer that I've ever had. Not because it's homebrew, but because it's literally the best beer I've ever had.

Thanks. Wanted to clarify. Pitched at 70 then slowly worked it down to 55-58 where I intend to keep it. Initially I going for 65 but quickly realized that was too warm. Thanks to everyone here and Palmers book.

In the future i'm building a fermentation chamber but my ambition got a little ahead of my technology.

I was thinking keeping it one temp (55ish) would be better than working down even lower, but I could easily add a swamp cooler to hit 50 by tomorrow. What do you think?

Update: fermenting away at 53-55. I took a gravity reading last night: 1.02. This is pretty close to where I was planning on doing a diactyl rest. FG should be around 1.010. Any reason not to do the diactyl rest now?

It smells and tastes very sulphur(y) but I read this is normal for lagers during fermentation.

Back