Sprouted Quinoa grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFry

Reaction score
Found "Sprouted Quinoa" at Whole Foods. Did some research, but could not find a distinction between "sprouted" and malted. Are they similar enough to use in place of a malted quinoa?

I've seen this pop up this past week as well. Wegman's and local natural food stores are starting to carry sprouted grains. I wondered about the quinoa specifically as i planned to brew with it today. (I ended up using flaked quinoa instead)

Not sure about the process or the whole starch angle, but as i understand it, this would be a malting process. I think the only way to know for sure is to mash some and find out.

I am not an expert here, but I would assume that this would be partially malted. In malt the grain is allowed to sprout, and the growth is stopped by some means, usually heat and drying. The only thing that I can see that might be different is the amount of sprouting that is allowed to happen. As something sprouts, the starches are turned to sugars, so the longer it sprouts, the more sugars there are. However, letting the sprouts going too long will start eating their own sugars. This woul be the same for the germinated rice, partially sprouted and have some of the starches turned to sugars, but the question is how much.

We really don't know if it's over or under modified. Then again, I really don't know where my home malted grains fall. How much is this stuff going for?

K dunno know about everyone else. But I've talked to my local markEteers. They say they wash the bulk buckets, But cannot guarntee the stuffs not contaminated. Not to mention most of these grains are processed in a contaminated facility. Would be a shame to mix a batch of glutinous GF beer.

If it's clean. May be able to toast it to choice. And you can control the toast better if the grain isn't 100% dry. Get it a touch damp before putting it in the oven. See my post in quinoa pale to see how I
home malt quinoa

It's used preboil in the mash. What does it matter if it's "contaminated"? We wouldn't be using any grains at all if that were a concern.

It's used preboil in the mash. What does it matter if it's "contaminated"? We wouldn't be using any grains at all if that were a concern.

what? well, in the sense of making a GlutenFree beer, it matters quite a bit if its contaminated with gluten or not. that is also why we use gluten free grains.

that makes sense. I wasn't taking "contaminated" to mean contaminated with glutten. Makes much more sense now that you've made that more clear.

I never took chances when the bins were actually bins and someone could use the same tool to get quiona, right after getting wheat. With the tube things, I'm more comfortable, but I do worry about cross contamination.

Latest posts

Back