How long do milled grains stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstatemallards

Reaction score
I'm about to make my first AG and I went to the lhbs on Wednesday and I bought some grains and they milled them for me. The guy working there said they don't mill the grains till they sell them because it keeps them fresher. My question is, how long do milled grains stay fresh for?

As long as you keep them sealed and dry, quite awhile. I've had months-old milled grains that smelled and tasted just fine.

Glad to hear it, I've had a Bock recipe I haven't had a chance to brew and the milled grains have been sitting in a sealed bag for at least 2 weeks. Makes me nervous!

I don't have a mill & my LHBS mills for free. But, they are 45 min away, so I usually pick up 2 months worth of grain at a time. As long as it is stored in an air tight container & kept cool it will be fine.

I usually order 2-3 recipes at a time online and get the grains milled.

I freeze the grains and take them out 3-4 days before I brew.

I've brewed up to 3 months after getting the grains with no ill effects.

I just pulled some chocolate malt from the deep freeze. I had vacuum sealed it with a food saver. After 1 year, the grain tasted good to me.

Back