First Partial Mash... possibly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
First it is between these two AHS brews Lawnmower or Strawberry Lager. So I have a few questions. Typically I used distilled water for brewing (extracts) should I use a different type of water or add a different type of yeast fuel/nutrient. I typically use Brewvint yeast fuel. Also, should I just add the extract at flame out and would this hold true for all partial mashes? I have been reading alot about not boiling extract and thinking this would help my brews out a bit. Would I need to adjust my hops since I am almost sure this kit would expect you to add all or atleast some of the extract at the beginning of the boil. Thanks for all the help.

I'd never use distilled water (see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Water). Go for spring water or regular filtered tap water.

I think you can add the extract at any point. It's already been heated in the process of making it. I'd some at the beginning and the bulk with 15 minutes to go in the boil, however, just to ensure it is sanitized. Follow the hop schedule; you'll just be adding them to thinner wort at the beginning.

I'd never use distilled water (see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Water). Go for spring water or regular filtered tap water.

I think you can add the extract at any point. It's already been heated in the process of making it. I'd some at the beginning and the bulk with 15 minutes to go in the boil, however, just to ensure it is sanitized. Follow the hop schedule; you'll just be adding them to thinner wort at the beginning.

I used distilled just because i did extract brews. Does extract have to be added with 15 minutes in the boil to sanitize or would adding at flame out also accomplish sanitizing the extract. Also, I have heard hop utilization can be affected by wort gravity and I have also heard that it doesn't effect utilization.

Back