Kegerator Conversion - Frigidair Mini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Well thanks to this form me (a non-DIY'er) was able to accomlish a kegerator conversion. I chronicled the entire process on my Facebook page. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2419383&id=23931273

Thanks again to everyone on this form. Also I PM'd a lot of people...you know who you are...Thanks for all the help!!!! This was a team effort.

By the way. If you're thinking of making a kegerator vs buyind I would highly recommend making it. There is something to be said for DIY and it saved me about 250 dollars. Even got Perlicks!

Plus the learned hands on you did it yourself as well the saved money for other needed, wanted brewing items. Go for it vs shelling out green that these LHBS want you to buy their complete brewing systems and items. They are in the business to make money off those that fear tackling any projects, congrats enjoy your erned rewards. Now step into deeper projects without fears this fourm will head you in the correct direction of forward progress with many more self rewards.

Dave, would you mind posting what kind of fridge you used? It looks like you have room for two 5gal kegs in there, am I right?

A it's the 4.4 frigidaire mini from Lowes. Retails for 179 but I got 10 percent off you can get the coupon in change of address packets from the post office. It will hold 2 5g kegs plus my 5# co2 tank on the back hump.

Just built mine a few weeks ago, extremely easy. Only stressful part is pulling off the lid. I highly recommend using a sheet of wood under the cover to support the tower, as soon as I finished I took it apart to add some structure.

I never tested to make sure the fridge worked before converting it into a kegerator. (Never will make that mistake again)
Now that I was about ready to keg my first batch I pluged it in.... nothing. The light turns on, but it is not cooling left it for about an hour to see if I just couldn't hear it. I didn't hear anything when I was drillling so I don't think I hit any of the freon lines and I was pretty carefull to stay away from them. Will the compressor turn on even w/o freon. Will i hear a "click" when adjust the the thermostate. And ideas on how to trouble shoot what might be wrong?

I worked around larger units of 40 to 60 HP compressors for Safeway's deep freeze as well their cold sections. Not counting the FAA with 400 HP compressor units. They all had low gas pressure sensors a first place to look for trouble shooting if it was a low gas shutdown then to the electrial feed and control problem plus defrost delay timers. These small home fridge units do not have low gas pressure sensors like your basic automotive AC units which have a low pressure shutdown of the clutch. Sorry to hear about your getting skunked on a unit. There will be many more available on the cheap, good hunting.

I never tested to make sure the fridge worked before converting it into a kegerator. (Never will make that mistake again)
Now that I was about ready to keg my first batch I pluged it in.... nothing. The light turns on, but it is not cooling left it for about an hour to see if I just couldn't hear it. I didn't hear anything when I was drillling so I don't think I hit any of the freon lines and I was pretty carefull to stay away from them. Will the compressor turn on even w/o freon. Will i hear a "click" when adjust the the thermostate. And ideas on how to trouble shoot what might be wrong?

I pulled the top, dug down to the lines, was about to drill through and thought, "gee I better check if this bad boy even works!"

It did.

Did you relocate the temperature control housing and possibly damage that?

I pulled and tugged from the back like the other posts told me to... Never got any where, then I pulled up on the front by the door and I got it up enough to where the door came off. Slowly work your way around the front and then down the sides. You will hear the seal breaking loose as you go. Watch the top cover, you will start to see the plastic change color (turns white) before your about to bust the lid. Go slow, and steady pressure. It took me a long time 'cause like you’re doing now I had to go back to the computer to make sure I was doing it right. Don't forget the two screws in the back.

ok so I got the top off and now I will heed your warning. I have plugged it in to see if it works before I go any further. And the lady at lowes asked if I needed the warranty!!! HA AHA AH

From here is extremly easy. Once you get thru the foam you will clearly see the gas lines. Drilling through the metal is as easy as going through a beer can, just make sure your drill doesn't skip. Also I am the pro with the broken kegerator...so consider the source.

I cut out the foam and put in a 4 inch block of wood and used gorilla glue to hold it in place. It has a great foaming property and can hold anything. After the glue stopped foaming and before it was completely set I then glued the top back on and weighted it down. The only problem will be if I want to add another tap because I will never get it apart again.

Latest posts

Back