ball valve on aluminum HLT and BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyWalker

Reaction score
getting materials ready for my first AG batch

bare with me if this is a dumb question..

can i do a DIY weldless ball valve on an aluminum pot? if not, can a brass ball valve be welded on? is that even possible?

i have 60qt and 30qt aluminum boiling pots at my house that i would like to dedicate to my brew rig, but would rather not be picking them up and pouring scalding hot liquid through each stage..

any help would be appreciated :)

A weldless ball valve works fine. Stainless is preferred. Can't weld brass to aluminum AFAIK. A step bit works great for drilling the hole.

getting materials ready for my first AG batch

bare with me if this is a dumb question..

can i do a DIY weldless ball valve on an aluminum pot? if not, can a brass ball valve be welded on? is that even possible?

i have 60qt and 30qt aluminum boiling pots at my house that i would like to dedicate to my brew rig, but would rather not be picking them up and pouring scalding hot liquid through each stage..

any help would be appreciated :)

Absolutely. Just go weldless, use the step drill bit mentioned above, and you are set.

also one more question, by using a washer between the pot and the ball valve, will there be a chance of damaging the pot when tightened because it's round?

awesome thanks for the quick replies

i see these kits are NPT fittings.. what does that mean/stand for? i work at the home depot and i know we have brass fittings that look just like those, but none of the labels say NPT

National Pipe Thread

NPT = National Pipe TAPERED.
NPS = National Pipe Straight.

Most say national pipe thread as its assumed its tapered. The pipe fittings at home depot are low pressure NPT threaded.

You will only flatten around the hole in the pot if you torque down on it very hard.

go with the weldless from bargainfittings I have them on the HLT and BK never any leaks or issues

new1.JPG

Back