How intense should I clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecojack

Reaction score
So....
Just came back home from Easter only to find the house smelling like something died and rotted over the weekend. Found out what it was...

1) one roommate defrosted the freezer 2 weeks ago...left chicken out in the garage... it stank

2) the other roommate had a party in the garage a month ago and left every beer pong cup out... The bacteria that developed in the BMC was so far along, I'm sure they discovered space flight. (I've never seen chunky Bud before...)

I leave my beer equipment in the garage...and it had to weather all of that...
I'm pretty good about being sanitary, but I'm sure I need to go the extra mile on my next batch now.

Should I bleach, oxyclean, then cleanitizer? Will only a good soak in cleanitizer work? :confused:

When I begin to question my equipments sanitation, I give it a nice soak in some stiff bleach solution overnight. Then the same in plain tap water to kill the chlorine odor. Seems to work well. Bleach will kill anything, I do it after five or so batches to kill anything that might have built up a StarSan resistance.

first thing I would do is open a can of whoop-ass on roommates.

You should be cleaning the same way for every batch... oxyclean/pbw/dishwasher cleaner to dissolve and breakdown solids and organic material. If there is skudge on stuff, no amount of any disenfectant other than heat will kill the nasties.

Follow with your sanitizer of choice ie onestep or iodofor.

Back