Denver Bulk Buy # 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverfrontbrewer

Reaction score
This is what they have in large quantities right now, I am in the process of confirming prices. Mid to late April delivery at Park Meadows. We will nail down a date soon. As I said before, I may have to hand this off to someone else depending on my schedule, but have no problem coordinating for now. Thanks for the offer Wayne, I may have to take you up on it.

Chris
0-500lbs 500-1000 1000+
White Wheat Malt $1 .85 .65
Red Wheat Malt $1 .85 .65
Hulless Barley Malt $1 .65
Purple Hulless Barley Malt $1 .65
Pilsner $1 .80 .65
Pale $1 .80 .65

:off:

Speaking of going to "chit". What's the weather like in Durango? Wife and I will be up there in April. Should we plan for snow?

Chris,

Let me know what I can help you with.

For now, put me down for 100 lbs of pale and 50 of pilsner.

Would there be anyone interested in splitting a bag of wheat?

Just so I understand...

Do we need to hit the weights for each type of malt? Or do we just need to hit a net weight from all of those categories?

The last time we ordered, it was the gross weight of the total order that determined the price.

We do have to order in 50 lb. bag quantities, which is why I am asking if someone is willing to split a bag of wheat ;)

To make things easier, the payment should be in cash. There will state sales tax of 3% added on.

The grain can be ordered milled for no additional cost.

April 27th - Park Meadows is the delivery, last time it was about 2-3 pm if I remember correctly. I will not be able to be there on that date, Wayne, I'll be in touch regarding all of Jasons contact info, etc.

The way I was reading the pricing was each grain type would have to hit the certain levels for the pricing to kick in....I'll call him on Monday and see if it's the total order, or each grain. If the last buy is any indication, the base pale will get over 1000lbs easy, not sure on the others though. And I'll add just in case it comes down to it, if we hit 3000lbs on the base malt it's .49 per lb.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, I have no monetary interest in CMC, nor do I receive any kickbacks, blah, blah, etc, etc....I just like their products and supporting/using Colorado grains.

I'm in for 100# pale.

Since Wayne has a taker, does anyone else want to split a bag of white wheat?

I would be in for 100# of the pale.

I am in Pueblo, so MikeScott if you are volunteering to bring some sacks back to the Springs that would be a huge time saver for me!

Yes I make it up there at least once every other week it seems since we have no LHBS here in Pueblo. I would make the trip and meet up with you the same day you bring the grain down from Denver. Just let me know when and where to meet you.

Yes I make it up there at least once every other week it seems since we have no LHBS here in Pueblo. I would make the trip and meet up with you the same day you bring the grain down from Denver. Just let me know when and where to meet you.

Good. If you go to Rocky Mountain Brewery I can meet you there. I would like to get the money first if you don't mind, this way I don't have to swing everyone's orders. There's plenty of time though.

I live in Denver and a couple of buddies of mine were talking about doing the same thing. Is it too late to get in on the order? If not, what brand of grain are we getting and who are we ordering from? I think between the 3 of us we would order somewhere around 400 lbs at least. When would I need to specifics by?

Thanks!!!

Sounds good Mike. Once it comes time to place the order I will get you the cash. Is everyone still shooting for placing the order in mid April?

I'm not sure what the deadline is for the order, but DurangoHomebrewMafia has the delivery date set for April 27th, 2 - 3 PM at the Park Meadows Mall.

I think Wayne1 is running the show now though .... (Thanks Wayne1!)

I live in Denver and a couple of buddies of mine were talking about doing the same thing. Is it too late to get in on the order? If not, what brand of grain are we getting and who are we ordering from? I think between the 3 of us we would order somewhere around 400 lbs at least. When would I need to specifics by?

Thanks!!!

The grain is from Colorado Malting Company out of Alamosa, and the order is coming straight through them. It's not too late to get in on this buy.

Not sure about the deadline though ....

Does anyone have what our totals are? If we're getting close to the next breakpoint I might up my order. Thinking about adding 50# of the Pils.

Also, noob question here - is "hulless barley" the same thing as "flaked barley"? If so, I wouldnt mind splitting a bag with someone. Tho if we're close to a break on that one as well I'll go a full one.

:mug:

Just from reading the thread, this is what I get, feel free to correct the total:

Everything so far is unmilled:
Wayne1 - 100 Pale - 50 Pilsner (Splitting 50lbs of Wheat with Lackey2000)
MikeScott - 50 Pale
jppostKW - 50 Pale (He'll take 2 if we hit the 1000+ Price)
SailCo26 - 100 Pale (Maybe a third)
Strngcheez - 50 Pale (Maybe a second bag)
Lackey2000 - 50 Pale 50 Pilsner (Splitting 50lbs Wheat with Wayne1)
Petervonstuff - 50 Pale 50 Pilsner
Buffman - 100 Pale
BCC - 100 Pale

Totals
Pale: 650 LBS
Pilsner: 150 LBS
Wheat: 50 LBS

At this point, without the "I may add another sack of whatever" we are at a total of 850 lbs. We have not ascertained if the price break is the total order or each grain.

As we get closer to mid April, I will ask that everyone confirm their order and to make arrangements for the grain to be picked up at Park Meadows on the 27th. As stated earlier in the thread, the transaction will need to be in cash and there will be state tax charged.

This is probably the best way to get high quality grain in a bulk buy. The local distributor for most of the grain sold in homebrew shops will not sell direct to homebrewers. Colorado Malting Company will.

If anyone is willing to split some wheat, we can add another 50#. I'd go it alone, but I'd never get through that much wheat before it was not worth using.

I picked up a bag from Jason yesterday I love this stuff!!!! great guy

cant wait to get more in april

Sent an email this morn to Jason (CMC) and Wayne, to make sure that CMC is aware Wayne is overseeing the buy this time.

I received an e-mail from Jason this morning.

The prices and terms that DurangoHomeBrewMafia and I laid out have changed slightly.

The two wheats are a flat $0.75 a lb for a 50 lb bag. The only break would come if we order over 3000 lbs of wheat. I don't think that is going to happen.

Pale and Pils are the same breaks. We should have no problem getting to the 1,000 lb price of $0.65 lb.

There will be no sales tax charged.

We would have to get to a total of 2000 lbs to get free shipping. Below that, we will be charged a $50.00 delivery fee.

There is still no charge for milled grain. Jason wants an absolute minimum lead time of three days to put the order together. April 27th is a Tuesday. I would like to have all orders in and confirmed by April 23 the Friday before. I'll put together another list with corrected pricing.

Please keep posting your tentative orders in this thread. In Mid-April, I will contact you to verify your order. I would like to get cell phone numbers of everyone and e-mail address to get back to you to confirm. We do wish to complete this transaction in cash and we would like you to be present to pick up your grains. If that is not possible, please make contact with someone near you to hand over the cash and pick up the grains for you.

Please let me know if any of you have any questions. We want this to go as smoothly as the last group buy.

Thanks,
Wayne

I received an e-mail from Jason this morning.

Pale and Pils are the same breaks. We should have no problem getting to the 1,000 lb price of $0.65 lb.

Just for clarification, so reaching more than 1,000 lbs of Pils and Pale combined gets us the price break for both grains?

IE, we don't need 1,000 lbs of Pils to get the price break on it.

Thanks for taking the lead on this Wayne1!

Colorado Malting Company Denver Area Bulk Buy #2

Malted Barley
0-500lbs 500-1000 1000-3000 3000+
Pale Malt $1.00 $0.85 $0.65 $0.49

Pilsner Malt $1.00 $0.85 $0.65 $0.49

Red Wheat $0.75 flat rate

White Wheat $0.75 flat rate

No Sales Tax

Delivery charge of $50.00 if total order is under 2,000 lbs

Mike,

That is my understanding of the mail I received. I did shoot back an inquiry to Jason to clarify the matter.

Depending on the answer, I may or may not change the pricing I just posted. I also asked about the uses for the hulless barley.

Did anyone get milled grain last time? I'd be interested depending on how long it can be stored. I'm brewing about every other weekend (5 gallon batches) so it would probably take me ~2 months to go through a sack.
I don't think the wife would approve of a mill purchase just yet so I won't be able to mill it myself.

Did anyone get milled grain last time? I'd be interested depending on how long it can be stored. I'm brewing about every other weekend (5 gallon batches) so it would probably take me ~2 months to go through a sack.
I don't think the wife would approve of a mill purchase just yet so I won't be able to mill it myself.

What LHBS do you use? You may want to see if they will let you use their mill, you'll still be buying hops, yeast, and specialty grains from them.

I use Rocky Moutain Brewery (myhomebrew.com) and they said they don't mind me using their mill.

You should be able to store milled grain in a sealed container for a few weeks. Perhaps as long as a 6-8 weeks. Others on this site might be able to give you better information. I have always used whole grain and milled the day I was using it.

Maybe you can check out the homebrew club that meets at the Rockyard Brewery in Castle Rock. There may be a brewer that lives near by you that has a mill that you can use.

I am in the SW Denver suburbs, near Wadsworth and Ken Caryl. If anyone who lives nearby wishes to mill grain, they are welcome to use my mill. I have a decent two roller mill with a 1/2" drill for power. I can mill 10-12 lbs in 5-7 minutes. I am usually available Friday afternoon/evenings and weekends.

Back