My 1st Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I started this in the beginners section but thought I should maybe move it here since it's equipment based.

I'm Building my 1st fermintation Chamber (heated), I got the structure basically figured out and finished but I have a simple question.. How should I place my heater? I was thinking having it pointing directly at a bucket my not be the best idea for several reason.. whats does everyone else think?

I was planning on use a small space heater but am starting to think that maybe a small baseboard heater might work better.

I'm also build in a small window and light for inside so I can see whats going on, is that useful or just a waste of time>?

Anywhere here's where I started and where I'm at right now. Planning on a switch on the outside for the light and one for the power to the heater, the heater will still be controlled by the thermostat I'll just beable to cut the power when it's now in use.

Thanks

Bill

I thought of a name for your brewery DEVIL DOG BREWERY (per pic #2)

Looks good so far. Was that dust or is it snowing?

If it's inside, you shouldn't need much heat. A terrarium heater or heating pad should be plenty. Some folks use a light bulb, but I worry about the UV.

The window will be cool, cuz you always have to look and you won't let the heat out.

You might keep in mind that you may want to cool the interior in the future.

Devil Dog eh?...

you think he's bad check this out

there's 3 dogs in that picture and thats not including the one in the other photo..

It's no snow it's dust, the basement is normally dusty with the wood stove down there but using the table saw doesn't help any!!

I've read about peope using the terrarium light thats not a bad idea, I agree it won't need much heat. I just happened to have a small space heater that I'm not using is all. The room tempature will about 10 degree depending what time of the day it is will a terratium light keep up?

I'm not worried about cooling, It gets damm cold here in the winter and my basement stays nice and cool in the summer.

Thanks
Bill

Looks like you are using 1" (possibly 1/2") foam insulation?

May wanna consider double stacking to 2" if $$$ allows...

I am using mini fridge guts in a fairly large cabinet and while I can still get to the 40's, I am cycling a few times per hour... I have a few faces that need another layer...

Looks good though..

:mug:

The terrarium heater I'm talking about is a thin plastic pad that sticks to the bottom of a glass reptile cage (6x8 or 8x10 are the ones I've seen). It shouldn't take much.

Three Dogs Brewing?
Tres Pedros Diablos?

(4 dogs doesn't sound as slick for some reason)

Foam on the bottom would be good too, but keep something hard and slick on top of it to make moving things easy. (someone is gonna make fun of that last sentence, I know it).
Keep us posted on progress.

I got the door made, top cut and bottom insulated. Time for wiring, But I have a question. Will it matter greatly where I mount the thermostat? it's such a small space will it matter. I was thinking of mounting somewhat in the middle and open away from the heat source.

Thanks

I went to 3 different pet stores today and no one had a ceramic buld.. I got an Infrared heat buld.. Will this work? will the infrared harm the beer?

Bill

IR is heat. UV (the other end of the spectrum) is what skunks beer. I imagine the IR bulb puts out some UV though. Just don't point it at your beer. Dark is still best, like This or HERE

I have a standup freezer that I use a two stage digital controller on. One stage controls it by turning on the freezer to keep it cold, the other turns on a dome light with a ceramic reptile heat bulb in it to warm it up when it gets to cold. It's out in my un-insulated garage and I can specify the temp range and know it is safe regardless of swings in the weather or season.

If you were concerned about the infrared light, couldn't you just wrap aluminum foil around the bulb?

Not sure about these bulbs in particular, but i tried wrapping standard incandescent bulbs in foil and it seems to burn them out pretty quickly. I went through 4 bulbs in 3 days. Needless to say i stopped wrapping them in foil.

I'll try without wrapping the bulb and see what happens.. if it is a proplem I'll figure something out without wrapping the light, maybe a coffee can with holes in it..It's kind of like the heat lamps in some hotels in the bathrooms to dry you off.. Anyway I started the wiring tonight, I have to pick up a few things tomorrow. Hopefully have it done by the weekend. gotta get that beer started...

updated picture...

imgp0722gj0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Almost my wiring tonight and found out that I suck at household wiring.. rather work on car wiring anyday.. My fault for using 240v wire when I was only going with 120v circuit.

Ohwell hopefully finish tomorrow by the weekend..

Finally.. Finally wrapped my head around the wiring.. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I'm used to 12v car electrics and was wiring like I would a car.. Anyway figured it out Know I get it.. took me 30 mins.. easy stuff..

Going to get the wheels under it and the top on so I can get a batch in there ASAP!!!

Finally got it done.. Go the casters on in and wheeled it into it's new home. Can't wait to start brewing..

Did you figure out what to do with the lights? I imagine heat when wrapped in aluminum foil is what was causing the other posters to burn out so quick. I would use the coffee can idea, with the one side cut open and facing upwards so the heat won't fry them, and most of the light is shielded.

I was thinking that since it's an IR light it would hurt the brew.. I guess there's only one way to find out! If in I'll go with the coffee can idea.. probably cut wholes top and bottom so air can circulate and crate some sort of shield to block most of the light.

The box isn't that big even a coffee can with holes in it woul dlet out enought light to light up the space.. Here's a picture with the IR light on.

Back