Priming Sugar When Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinmama

Reaction score
My husband bought me a kegging system while I was out of town and kegged my second batch (it's a blonde ale). Anyway, he didn't add any priming sugar. I think he should have. Who is right? If I am right is there any way to remedy this and what effect will it have on my beer?

TIA!

You can force carb using the co2. It will take a few days but it's not a problem.

You can use priming sugar to carb it, half the normal amount if you were to bottle.

So your both right.

yea.. it's your decision.

I'd imagine if you have a keggin setup, you should force carb for faster drinking.. but either will do.

That will be up to you guys. Some like natural carbing, others like force carbing.

So I have a question on this. I just kegged a Brit Ale and primed it with a packet of sugar, hit it with a quick blast of 12 PSI and disconnected the corney and left it in the fridge. It occured to me 10 days is ok (better than bottling) but what would happen if you went with a hybrid approach? For instance, connected a young "primed keg" up to the co2 system/tap tower before the natural carbing started? Does the beer end up over carbed in the end or does it just speed the process up more?

Back