for just a hint of mint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbott

Reaction score
I am bringing 5 gal batch to a weekend event late this summer and would like to make something interesting that a wide range of pallets might appreciate. I was thinking an ale that has a subtle mint in the back. How much and how would I best accomplish this?

First may I comment on Principle:
YUCK. (But Don't EVER Make YOUR beer to please someone else!)
Now May I comment on Practice:
If you add 100% Mint Extract (DO NOT USE THE OIL) to the bottling bucket, you should be able to get a good sample of how strong it will be. The thing to be careful about is the Mint may become more pronounced against the hop flavor as it ages...Less is More.
Option #2 (and My Favorite) Find some mint Schnapps and dump in there. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle in a 5 gallon batch.

You could put a bit of schnapps in your beer tonight and see how the hops / malt / mint concoction goes. Then you'd know if you're onto something great, or just nuts.

I think if I *were* to go the mint route, I might start with a dark, roasty beer as the base; it could be quite complementary to a chocolately porter, or a sweetish English Brown, or maybe even a roasty stout. That could actually be a little interesting. In the background of a light beer, or a hoppy beer - I'm going to concur with the "yuck" ;). I'm thinking any hop flavors would clash horribly with mint - but roast/sweet/chocolate might be, uh, "interesting" and nice for some people.

I did a mint chocolate stout. I used fresh mint leaves, from the grocery store, and 1 lifesaver candy. I was following Radical Brewing for the mint part. It was a very tasty brew.

I agree, go with a chocolate base which will mesh with the mint nicely. But if you have your heart set on a lighter beer with mint, go for it, it may turn out to be a really good brew?? I used 0.75 oz fresh mint leaves in the boil (can't remember how long they were in the boil) and the lifesaver candy was at flameout.

I had a cake last week where the baker used mint tea instead of straight water in the recipe. It was very nice. I'd be tempted to find a mint tea you liked and then brew some up, add your priming sugar to it, maybe heat it a little more (sans tea bag) and then add it and then bottling/keg it

Mint beer could be very tasty if done right. First, don’t boil the mint it will leave a harsh bitterness that will ruin your beer. Second, all the schnapps and candy ideas will work but will taste like an artificial mint. The best way to add mint is in the secondary or after fermentation. Use it sparingly and taste it frequently because it goes from not minty to over minty fast. Use more (3 grams) for a shorter time (3 days) or less (.5 grams) for a longer time (10 days). I prefer less with a longer time. good luck

Sounds like a great Christmas brew Idea for some reason.. ill keep an eye on this thread

Hate to bump something this old, but sounds better than a new thread yea?
Made a mint coffee stout for st pats, really good beer, mint, non-existent.

used mint Schnapps till the beer was uncomfortably minty because i was rather confident it would fade as we were carbonating in bottle. however it faded completely.

has anyone had a experience that got the mint to stick? should we look into extract or "dry hop" mint ?

hurm looking above @ BigKahuna he said up to 1/2 a bottle, we used no where near that, and the beer was grossly minty. maybe we just failed to commit.

Last Christmas I did a Choc Mint Stout. Used a French Press with good success. Pour 2 cups boiled water over 1 Oz mint tea leaves, steep 5 minutes, cool and add at bottling or kegging time. If you are using priming suger to carb, steep that and kill 2 birds same time. Cheers

A local brewery here in west houston (No Label Brewery) makes a summer seasonal Mint IPA that is very drinkable. They use fresh mint in the boil. Not sure of ratios, but its really good

A local brewery here in west houston (No Label Brewery) makes a summer seasonal Mint IPA that is very drinkable. They use fresh mint in the boil. Not sure of ratios, but its really good

The mint helps to balance the massive ammount of hops. This brew clocks in at 125 IBU. Here's the proof. Lol. In spite of the bitterness this brew is very drinkable. Just my 2 cents. I understand that this is :off:

Back