Looking for something very malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for a good malty beer? I'm trying to get an idea for my 3rd brew.

I have an Irish Red in bottles that is pretty tasty and I am going to be putting together a Kölsch this weekend. I want to get and Extra Pale Ale and an IPA going at some point as well, but for #3 I'm looking for something thick and malty.

My 1st 2 brews are Northern Brewer extract kits. I need to stick with extract at this point but don't necessarily need it to be a kit. Any ideas?

Any of the Scottish ale varieties will be malty since that is what the style is all about. If you're a new brewer I would recommend a /70 or /80 rather than a wee heavy (since wee heavy's can be awfully big beer). Check the recipe database, there are lots of great recipes there.

Try using some Munich malt in your favourite recipe, it's high in melanoids and very malty.

100% Munich malt for a Munich Dunkel will give you a nicely malty beer if you want to make a lager.

Kai

orfy said:
Mash anything high and it will get you a malty brew.

Kaiser said:
100% Munich malt for a Munich Dunkel will give you a nicely malty beer if you want to make a lager.

Kai

Thanks, guys, but he asked for extract...........:eek:

+1 for the Scottish ales. Malty goodness.........

+infinity on the Scottish. Malty beers are easier if you mash since you can control that with your mash temperature, but since you are doing extract, you will want to use a yeast that has low attenuation - Wyeast 1728 (White Labs WLP028) or Wyeast 1968 (White Labs WLP002) would be your top candidates.

Back