It's Saturday Brewday - Watchya Makin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I brewed a yeast starter for tomorrow's ESB. I also kegged an ESB, and finished a keg of ESB.
Did I happen to mention that I like ESB's? :)

-a.

You and me both:tank:

Just did my first AG, BIAB, 2.5 gallon, batch to ferment in one of my old Mr. Beer LBKs, yesterday and was shooting for a, sort of, ESB. A little higher gravity but using 2.25 kg Maris Otter, 250 g crystal 70, 125 g of chocolate wheat and 250 g of brown sugar. Nugget (12 g) for bittering, Kent golding and Fuggles (10 g each @ 15 min, 8 g each @ 5 min).

Hit my post boil OG (1.068) absolutely perfectly, surprised the **** out of myself, and just hoping my mash temps weren't too high. Sample was definitely promising so even if I get a high proportion of unfermentable sugars it'll just be a low ABV, but quite nicely balanced, beer. :mug:

dadshomebrewing said:
nope... made it up all by myself.

i'm doing some experimenting. i'm making a series of one gallon batches using mostly the same ingredients, and adjusting the grains and amounts to be appropriate to the style.

Last week was a porter, so it was basically this + some black patent.
Next week an amber ale, so this - chocolate, and adjusting the crystal malt to 80L or maybe 90L.
Then the pale ale, which is this, minus the chocolate.

in each case, adjust the hop treatments, and amounts, to hit approximately the style guidelines, and stay fairly "middle of the road".

i'm trying to get my baseline "American Brown's" worked out, so i can then add/subtract, etc., and know what to expect.

Once I get these done, i will either shift to "british brown" or "yellow" or some other logical, related groups.

Great ideas there thanks. What about the yeast?How do you adjust the amount? Can you buy smaller pouches/viles?

Great ideas there thanks. What about the yeast?How do you adjust the amount? Can you buy smaller pouches/viles?

i buy white labs yeast, and the vials are screw top, so they are closeable. i also figured out the net weight of the content by weighing a full vial, an empty vial, and taking the diff.

i can get precision within a gram of the amount of yeast, and then i round UP to the nearest gram, to be sure i have enough.

dadshomebrewing said:
i buy white labs yeast, and the vials are screw top, so they are closeable. i also figured out the net weight of the content by weighing a full vial, an empty vial, and taking the diff.

i can get precision within a gram of the amount of yeast, and then i round UP to the nearest gram, to be sure i have enough.

Great. Thanks I'll give that a go.

for what it's worth, i can save you a little math. the net weight of the product is 39 grams in a vial of white labs yeast. so 3.9 grams is one tenth of a vial, and mrmalty.com is going to give you your yeast calculation in tenths. just multiply.

Post Road IPA. 6 oz of centennial and cascade in 11 pounds of grain. And a whole lot of bottling chores.

A partial mash version of my Sunset Gold APA. Got the .5oz of NZ super alpha bittering hop in about 11 minutes ago. Def has an herbal,lemony smell with a touch of lime that tones it. The fresh grain wort & the SA hop smells absolutely divine. Wow!:ban::rockin::ban: I wish we had smellovision so you folks could get a wiff of this house right now. My man cave is in the front & opposite side of the 1st level & it smells omfg...

India Black Ale. While finishing up my last batch of bourbon barrel porter. Doing it while the roommate is gone cause she hates the smell. Blasphemy

India Black Ale. While finishing up my last batch of bourbon barrel porter. Doing it while the roommate is gone cause she hates the smell. Blasphemy

swmbo doesn't like the scent of grains steeping, either.

some people just don't get it

Gonna be starting an American Hefe based on the NB recipe as soon as my girls go to bed. Both thought the mash smelled great, wife took a powder when the hops went in. Too flowery she said.

Jamil's AG amber ale recipe...

Decided to try something a bit different and mash the night before. Hit my temps and expected gravities. Boiled this morning and got it cooled to pitching temps just as the snow started to fall. The pre-storm cold and wind has me pondering whether I'm going to be brewing much this winter. Being cold makes me :mad:...

Brewing my first attempt at a house IPA. Using Bravo and C type hops, hoping this turns out well!

Was a long PAC craft fair day, didnt have time to take gravity readings, but my equipment is sanitizing now to get that done. Since I don't have a capper yet, or any PET's with caps, I'm going to be patient and let this first batch age. I plan to rack batch #2 onto pumpkin in the secondary late this week if the readings are all good. If fermentation is finished should I get it onto pumpkin as quickly as possible, or be patient with it? (Sorry, not to hijack this thread :eek: )

Saturday brew day complete. First all grain batch today! On the menu....Russian Imperial Stout. Anyone wanna taste?

Was a long PAC craft fair day, didnt have time to take gravity readings, but my equipment is sanitizing now to get that done. Since I don't have a capper yet, or any PET's with caps, I'm going to be patient and let this first batch age. I plan to rack batch #2 onto pumpkin in the secondary late this week if the readings are all good. If fermentation is finished should I get it onto pumpkin as quickly as possible, or be patient with it? (Sorry, not to hijack this thread :eek: )

it won't hurt anything to let the brew age a few days until you can get decent bottles.

and, i can't answer your question about the pumpkin, but one thing i'm learning (the hard way) is that being patient is the right answer about 99% of the time in this hobby

A personalized version of a west coast ipa. Not quite on par with stone brewery but I had them In mind as I made this batch. Hoping for the best. And worst case scenario I'm still drinking it when it's done

Id be lucky to make anything today...too buzzed from the tasting we went to earlier at red hare brewery!

I brewed my first all grain batch today. 5.25 gals of an Oatmeal Vanilla Stout. Had a blast, efficiency was great, my DIY mash lauter tun worked great. Good brew day.

Yeah, nothing more disappointing than having to cancel a brew day. I've got some time off next week, so maybe I can do it then. I'm glad I didn't already mill my grain yet!

English mild.
3 gallon BIAB
5# mo
8oz c 60
11 oZ victory
Fuggles and Willamette
Who knows if it will work but I thought it sounded pleasant.
London ale 3

English mild.
3 gallon BIAB
5# mo
8oz c 60
11 oZ victory
Fuggles and Willamette
Who knows if it will work but I thought it sounded pleasant.
London ale 3

that actually does sound good... i use Nugget/Willamette as a hop combination a lot. interested how this turns out

Bottled my second batch today. Won't brew again till after the holidays :-(

image-1392670116.jpg

Cheers!

Back