Pacific Rim pale ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkm11b

Reaction score
like the title suggests im making a pale ale that includes hops from countries around the pacific rim. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

9lb 2 row malt
2lb vienne malt
4oz C20
4oz C30

fwh cascade 1oz
15min riwaka 1oz
5min australian galaxy 1oz
1min sorachi ace 1oz
dry hope schedule i havent figured out yet, any suggestions?
us05 yeast, and mash at 152.
im getting my sparging technique down still, so i planned for a lower efficiency here, but according to beercalculus the og is 1.054, and fg is 1.012
and the ibus are 44.
does this sound like it will turn out as a hop forward, drinkable pale ale with a well rounded malt back bone?

I don't have a ton of hands on experience with vienna, but my first impression is that two pounds of vienna might be a little heavy if you want the beer to be hop forward. Otherwise, it looks tasty. I love most of the hop varietals you're using.

well i finally tapped this keg, and what can i say. tropical fruit, pineapple, citrus abound. crazy flavor, very drinkable, nice body. anything else you want to know, just ask.

Looks tasty. Curious why you are splitting the crystals to two so similar L ratings? I would think it would be difficult to tell the differential contribution of those two grains. Is this just what you have or did you have a plan for that move?

Thanks

well i heard somewhere that if you add a couple different crystal grains it will add complexity...ive yet to notice anything different, so i guess that myth has been busted.

Well, I'm not sure the myth should be declared dwarf yet. I think what most folks mean by that is say split up 0.5# crystal malt by adding .25 C-20 and .25 C-60 - i.e. two crystals a bit more different than 10L. Although I've never tried to tell the difference myself, I doubt anyone could reliably differentiate C-20 and C-30 in a blind tasting. That's why I was curious as to your plan with that.

oh, i got what your saying. i didnt want to go too dark with the crystals (even though this pale ale is only slightly darker then bud light) but i still wanted to add a little complexity to the grist. ill try something a bit darker for the next brew.

i dry hopped with 1/2 an oz of each hop, and 1 oz of cascade. the more i drink it, the more i notice how dry it is (which is nice, it will be great for the summer time).

i just looked at my notes again. i only used half an oz of each variety during boil, and used the other half oz for the dry hop.

Back