Should I add apricot puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbobbert

Reaction score
I decided to do a little experiment and did an extract of
6#dme pilsner,
1# Belgium candi clear,
some paradise seed and coliander,
hopped with amarillo.
5gallon batch

Its fermenting nicely as we speak. I was thinking of adding 3# of apricot puree towards the end of the primary stage(4-6 days in) and letting it sit for 2 or 3 weeks in the primary. I don't have a secondary. The question is do you think I should add the apricot or just leave it be? I don't want a big apricot flavor just a hint, thought it would give it some character. I have it in a controlled environment cooler at 64 degrees using safale s-04 dry yeast

I am not a big fan of fruit beers. However, I have made an Apricot blonde ale twice over the summer. I added the apricot puree as you are suggesting, also a 3 lb. can. Apricot has a tartness to it that I really like. My recipe also uses apricot extract when kegging. If just using the puree, I don't think that you will get an overpowering taste. I added the puree at about the 3rd day of active fermentation. My next apricot addition will be in a bigger pale ale.

Just bottled and sampled. Could definitely taste and smell apricot. I think it will be a winner, I will post a review after it conditions for 3 weeks but the sample was tasty. I ended up dry hopping some simcoe just for the hell of it too.

Back