I need to pay better attention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
I just finished steeping my specialty grains for my black cherry porter experiment (for those that saw my thread about that I did add an additional 6 oz. of caramel 120L)
I got to about 160 ish shut off the heat and when the temp started getting below 155 I turned the heat back on, I read one thread and went back to check and I was at 173, oops, pulled the bag out right away, it had seeped almost 25 minutes anyway so was time. hope no damage was done, it couldn't have been above 170 for very long.

It'll be fine. When I was doing BIAB partial mashes I did the same thing but my grains got up to 190 for 10 minutes or so before I was able to get it back in range. Still turned out fantastic- to extract harsh tannins requires not only higher temperatures but also for your pH to be out of range.

These harsh tannins, if one were to extract them. Being a new brewer, I am concerned I have done the same. However, if I infact did do this, how would I know for sure? What should I expect in the taste.

First, "I am an idiot", now this. I mean, no offense, menerdari, but I'm sensing a trend! ;)

Anyways, you should be fine. :D

These harsh tannins, if one were to extract them. Being a new brewer, I am concerned I have done the same. However, if I infact did do this, how would I know for sure? What should I expect in the taste.

You know that puckery taste/feel you get form strong black tea, or some red wines? Those are from tannins.

If it tastes unpleasant, then you may suspect you got tannins and then decide whether it's the over-brewed astringent black tea flavor.

But don't go looking for it. Assume the beer is fine, you know you're going to like it, it's going to be excellent. I've spent too much time looking for problems to worry about. Don't do this in advance, it doesn't help!

I'm feeling good about Zeg's comment:

"But don't go looking for it. Assume the beer is fine, you know you're going to like it, it's going to be excellent. I've spent too much time looking for problems to worry about. Don't do this in advance, it doesn't help!"

But then ya gotta throw in the river comment. Kinda destroys the peaceful, zen like mindset.

Ever had tea that had the tea bag in overly hot water for an extended period of time?

That dry astrigent taste.. Thats tannins.

Back