Apple/pineapple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGCUNN60

Reaction score
2 gallons Motts natural fresh pressed 100% apple juice

2 1/2 gallons pineapple juice

4 lbs corn sugar

2 lbs dark brown sugar

OG 1.100

Wyeast 4766 cider

Would like to hear ideas on what I will end up with.

That will also need quite a bit of aging before the fresh rubbing alcohol flavor profile subsides.

Actually, I'm stupid because I just glazed over everything. The OP took 4.5 gallons of juice plus 6lbs of fermentable sugar and selected a yeast with a 12% alcohol tolerance. It's going to get to 12%, kill off the yeast and then leave a ton of unfermented sugar behind. If 2lbs of dextrose in 5 gallons of apple juice typically yields 8.5% ABV (depending on what's in the juice) then the OP has roughly enough sugar for 25-26% ABV. After the alcohol kills the yeast @12% that's gonna leave a TON of sugar behind.

I vote it tastes like fire with enough sugar to burn the enamel off your teeth! If this has already been done, maybe let it ferment to 12%, rack to secondary then make a starter, add a nutrient smack pack and repitch with something like Wyeast 4946 which has a high alcohol tolerance (18%), is good for restarting "stuck" fermentations and deals well with a lot of fuel floating around. I don't know what that would taste like, but it's definitely a yeast that could pick up where the 4766 left off.

I'm literally laughing out loud because I want to know how this turns out. Come to think of it, I bet it could turn out alright. I don't think you could bottle carbonate it without serious trial and error, but it might make for a really interesting overly sweet white wine after a LOT of aging. You could also use it to make Black Velvet. I bet Guinness never tasted so sweet or had such a big kick in the pants!

Go for it! Seriously. Why not?

Might take a lot of time to mellow with that much sugar. (and pineapple juice) After a quick google search it looks like the alc tolerance of that yeast is around 12%. If it goes all the way dry, you're going to be pushing the limits. I'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't stall somewhere along the way. Either way, sounds like a fun experiment but I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait as long as it might need. ;)

I don't know, with plenty of nutrient the yeast could be pushed to 14% and then the finished product will be around as sweet as the original juice mix which seems reasonable to me. Although I do agree that the flavor might be a little off with so many simple sugars.

I once did a small batch of apple with 1 can of pineapple juice. It was HORRIBLE once done. I ended up storing it under the stairs and forgot about it for about a year. I went back and tried it, and it was AMAZING. just dont expect to drink it any time in 2012

Well I did make this. I put it into primary on Friday February 17th. It is in my basement off the floor about 60 degrees. It is really bubbling the airlock the last couple days and I have some wonderful fruity smells coming through the vodka. Any suggestions?

Back