Plan for all grain in motion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I'm excited to delve into the world that is all grain. I just purchased a 10 gallon water cooler, and I'm looking at different mash tun set-ups. I stumbled across this http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

Has anyone used this setup, if so, do you have any problems with it leaking? What can I say; I'm a cheep a$$, and don't want to spend the $25 for a fitting, unless I have to.

I used the same website when I got into All Grain brewing. I tried many thing to save a few bucks, all of them leaked. I finally got fed up and took my 10 gallon cooler to Austin Home Brew and they gave me what I needed. The right fitting.

I should have done that from the get go and not wasted so much time going to Lowes and trying different parts.

Life is good now and so is my beer. :D

I agree wholeheartedly, spend a few bones and do it right the first time. I never tried using the setup in the website you linked (fix the double http:// in the link please), but I did try putting my own bulkhead together. I ended up going back and forth to Home Depot several times and spending at least twice what the correct parts cost in trying to fit something together myself.

If you MUST try it yourself first, use the correct tools to put it together. Don't just use a pliers to tighten nuts and fittings. That's how I ruined the parts that don't work and I can't return them now.

With all due respect to Paul (the guy who runs that web site) and all who use that style mash tun, it sure seems hokey to me. I don't like the idea of having to hold the stopper while stirring. That pipe gets pretty warm during the mash and sparge. I also HIGHLY recommend having a valve on it to control the flow. Many times I brew by myself and I just don't have enough hands to mess with attaching/detaching the hose from chip clips.

I used to have something similar, and it didn't leak if you were very careful, and you didn't dislodge the stopper when stirring the mash. In other words, it usually leaked. :(

However, replacing the bung with a bottling bucket spigot ($1.25 at the LHBS) and a smaller bung that fits in the back of the spigot, it works fine.
I needed a half round rasp to ease the hole in the cooler to take the spigot.

I doubt it will last as long as the $25.00 fitting, but it's been working without any problems for about two years now.

-a.

That is a good site...like Ed, I got started there first. It's a great site to learn the process because of the pictures, but you could spend about $10 in modifications and you'd have a much better mashtun. You're headed for some serious messes if you can't securely control the flow of the wort....holding the hose up works only so well, because after a few beers you may get distracted and inadvertently lower the tubing. Wort is some sticky stuff, and hard to clean!

Just use FlyGuy's conversion tutorial. It ran me $26 US. That's not that much to ask to have it working right the first time. Once all the parts are purchased from hardware store and you're home, it's 10 minutes until you're finished.

Even if you use the method you posted above, you're still plunking down around $15. Just spend $10 more and have a good, rather than decent, system.

simzy said:
I'm excited to delve into the world that is all grain. I just purchased a 10 gallon water cooler, and I'm looking at different mash tun set-ups. I stumbled across this http://http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

Has anyone used this setup, if so, do you have any problems with it leaking? What can I say; I'm a cheep a$$, and don't want to spend the $25 for a fitting, unless I have to.

I use this setup and it works beautifully, but I had to buy a a few different bungs from the LHBS until I found one that fit. I just jammed the bung into the cut in the cooler (I actually just leave it in the MLT all the time), use a 1/4" hose clamp to secure the SS braid to a 6 inch piece of copper and an identical clamp secures the 3/8" tubing to the other end of the copper. No leaks and it works great each time, a nice cheap and easy design.

I added to small steel collar clamps to the end of the SS braid to keep it weighted during the mash and added a simple plastic clamp to the tubing for flow control.

You shouldn't have to spend $25 for a bulkhead and valve. If you are using the same 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler that I am, you should be able to do it for about $12 with parts from Lowes or Home Depot. I have a complete parts list in my signature (to save you multiple trips back and forth). This is a tried-and-true solution that will likely last you the lifetime of your cooler.

Note -- the hardest item to find will be the stainless steel washer. If you can't find one, skifast1 here on this board bought some in bulk and will sell you one at cost (if he has any left).

FlyGuy said:
You shouldn't have to spend $25 for a bulkhead and valve. If you are using the same 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler that I am, you should be able to do it for about $12 with parts from Lowes or Home Depot. I have a complete parts list in my signature (to save you multiple trips back and forth). This is a tried-and-true solution that will likely last you the lifetime of your cooler.

Note -- the hardest item to find will be the stainless steel washer. If you can't find one, skifast1 here on this board bought some in bulk and will sell you one at cost (if he has any left).

I used the parts list you laid out. Had to go back to Lowe's once to exchange, I used a different cooler. I think I left out some pieces too, don't remeber which, but it works and doesn't leak. It cost a bit more than what I was expecting, but not much.

Also, if you are looking for a SS braid go to Lowe's, their standard supply lines are SS. At HD the standard lines are plastic. I had to get the "Flood Safe" kind at HD, they are more expensive.

FlyGuy said:
the hardest item to find will be the stainless steel washer

Sounds to me like the extra money spent on a good fitting is worthwhile. My brother works at a nuts and bolts store, so I shouldn't have any problems finding the washers. On second thought he might be able to find the rest of the fittings too, and get them at discount. Thanks everyone

Whatever you do....DIY. I'm all about supporting my LHBS, but the price for their coolers with fittings and valves is prohibitive. I got a 10 Gal 'Victory" rubbermaid cooler for $37 at HD. You can also get 3/8" vinyl tubing (make sure it's food grade) for cheaper there.

FlyGuy said:

I couldn't find one (used your method), so I used the zinc-plated instead. Is this going to lead to any known ill-effects?

PseudoChef said:
I couldn't find one (used your method), so I used the zinc-plated instead. Is this going to lead to any known ill-effects?
I wouldn't use it. The plating will corrode off because the fermenting beer drops to a low pH, and this could lead to metallic off flavours in your final product.

I suggest that you talk to skifast1 to get a washer, or try to find a brass or nylon one instead.

Latest posts

Back