Like the highest alcohol, just to say you can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That has nothing to do with alcohol, IBU's are a measurement of alpha acid concentration from hops... and it sounds like Guinness Book is several years behind the times. :)

hes just comparing highest IBU to the brewery that puts out those 35% abv beers, its just to claim that they have it.

Human perception saturates somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 IBUs, so it's interesting that the brewer says that the flavor lasts for hours.
This is a meaningless publicity stunt, and the brewer is totally full of ****.

Devil Dancer is not all that bitter... LOADS of hop flavor and aroma though.

The article doesn't say who measured the IBUs though.

Apparently if you put just a drop of hop extract on your tongue you're screwed for the rest of the day. He might not be lying about the 4 hour thing.

That's not quite true.

You're right, I was conflating. :) IBU's are a subjective measurement of an objective phenomenon... brought about by alpha acids. But it isn't an objective measure OF AA's in any useful way...

You're right, I was conflating. :) IBU's are a subjective measurement of an objective phenomenon... brought about by alpha acids.

Brought about _partially_ by isomerized alpha acids. Oxidized beta acids play a significant role as well. In theory (it'd be tough to get there in practice) you could have 30 IBUs with no alpha acids at all, which would be subjectively very different from 30 IBUS of high-alpha bittering.

Indeed, lambics intentionally go for beta-heavy bittering (by using traditional hops that have a more balanced alpha-beta ratio than modern high-alpha varieties, and then aging them to increase the proportion of oxidized betas).

I've seen pliny clones with over 300IBU's. I just brewed a beer that should be around 280 IBU last weekend. all in all this doesn't seem like anything to news worthy.

I've seen pliny clones with over 300IBU's. I just brewed a beer that should be around 280 IBU last weekend. all in all this doesn't seem like anything to news worthy.

You've seen Pliny clones that are estimated at 300 IBU by formulae that are not designed to estimate in that range. Those estimates are ridiculous.

IIRC, the sheet Vinnie handed out at NHC said that Pliny measures 97 IBUs.

Thanks for the clarifications!

How do they measure IBU after the fact? I don't think I've ever heard how this is done... IS there an objective concentration at which the acids can be quantified?

Thanks for the clarifications!

How do they measure IBU after the fact? I don't think I've ever heard how this is done... IS there an objective concentration at which the acids can be quantified?

Gas Chromatigraph, IIRC.

And I believe that the human threshold of bitterness perception stops abruptly at 100 IBU, therabouts.

whats the point past 150? just seems like a waste. like when people put like 10 packs of sweet and low in their coffee. just overkill

You've seen Pliny clones that are estimated at 300 IBU by formulae that are not designed to estimate in that range. Those estimates are ridiculous.

IIRC, the sheet Vinnie handed out at NHC said that Pliny measures 97 IBUs.

I've seen them range from the 67IBU up to the 300's
from a quick search "pliney clone recipe" these are on the first page of listings.

Pliney Clone at 243IBU

Pliney Clone 246IBU

from a quick search "pliney clone recipe" these are on the first page of listings.

Pliney Clone at 243IBU

Pliney Clone 246IBU

Good for you. My point is that you have seen Pliny clones that have estimates (bad ones) of IBUs. You have yet to convince me that you have seen a Pliny clone with IBUs measured at any level.

Good for you. My point is that you have seen Pliny clones that have estimates (bad ones) of IBUs. You have yet to convince me that you have seen a Pliny clone with IBUs measured at any level.
:ban:
I don't intend to try to convince you of anything, merely stating my observations.

care to post your convincing "sheet" you got? otherwise I'm just as not convinced as you.

...all in all this doesn't seem like anything to news worthy.

I agree, the fact that the forumla we use to calculate ballpark IBU numbers is kind of mute. This is not a hard record to beat at all, I could go to the home brew shop buy 30 Oz of their bitterest hop and boil away for 2 hours. I got a laugh that this brewer seems to think he has achieved something.

In all seriousness...who the F**K cares. This is just another example of some stupid A Hole brewing a S**t beer just to get in the news. Sure if I had pounds of hops I could do this too, but I like to drink my beer and this one sounds gross.

Congratulations, your an R-tard

Done Ranting ;)

Pliney Clone at 243IBU

Pliney Clone 246IBU

Those are formulaic estimations, not measurements--formulas are incredibly inaccurate. For instance, plugging in 22.5 liters of 1.090 with the hop schedule of the second recipe and an 11 liter partial boil gives me 193 IBUs if I choose to use Rager for the estimate, but just 88(!!) IBUs if I use Tinseth.

That's not a small difference, and shows that you really can't trust formulas to get you near the correct IBU value.

Even when you're in "normal" IBU ranges formulaic estimates are lucky to get within 20-30% of the actual IBU value--Brad Sturgeon and Paul Childress did a great talk on this for BBR back in July of 2007. Once you get outside the range of normalcy, they tend to be much farther off.

Basically, you should pick one formula and stay with it so that you have some sort of known guide to use when tinkering with a recipe. That's quite valuable. You just shouldn't assume that the number it spits out is very closely related to the actual number of IBUs in your beer.

Here's why the calculators are wrong:

hop_utilization2.jpg

Note that if you extend them, the lines hit zero utilization. mg/L = IBU

Combine that with the isomerization inefficiencies:

hop_util1.png

Back