Wow it tastes good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenlivet

Reaction score
Hey all,

About a week ago i brewed my first ale. It was a late night event (finished around 1:30am)! As a result I took my OG from my 2 gallons of wort rather than after mixing it with the three gallons of water in the fermenter. I was able to estimate it to be about 1.045, does that sound about right? Anyway, last night I took my first FG reading and was surprised at how clear the beer looked already. I got a hydro reading of 1.010. What really impressed me though was how good it tasted even before dry hopping and carbonation. I cant wait to get this in a bottle! I'll take another FG reading in a day or two and if all is well rack this weekend and in a week or two dry hop then bottle a few days later.

I got a lot of help from users on here and reading posts. I'm not done yet but thanks for all the knowledge. :mug:

Well, I'm going to guess you're making a pale ale since you're dry hopping. In that case, 1.045 sounds good.

On my first batch, I took the OG from the concentrated wort before adding it to the water. Unfortunately, I didn't do that on purpose, and I thought I had a super high gravity beer until I had an epiphany two weeks later. :eek:

On my first batch, I took the OG from the concentrated wort before adding it to the water. Unfortunately, I didn't do that on purpose, and I thought I had a super high gravity beer until I had an epiphany two weeks later. :eek:

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with me. I woke up the next morni g and it hit me!

Sorry, yes it is a pale ale.

Maybe I'll rack as soon as my FG stabilizes and dry hop longer then. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back