How do you get extract out of a large tub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Been thinking about buying extract LM by the bulk. Having used the 3.3 lbs in the past, how do you keep from making a mess when you take some of the syrup out of a large drum?

You may want to consider DME because I think it keeps better and would be much easier to handle than a large container of LME. In my opinion it makes better beer also.

Ol' Grog said:
Been thinking about buying extract LM by the bulk. Having used the 3.3 lbs in the past, how do you keep from making a mess when you take some of the syrup out of a large drum?
There are special taps you can get for those barrels that are just like a spigot on a bottling bucket. The difference being that you need to have the barrel on it's side.

I second what woosterhoot suggested. Unless you're going to use it up very quickly I would go with DME, it will keep better and it's easy to measure by weight.

If you are talking a 55 gallon drum then you may want to consider a Nitrogen charged system for pushing it out then it won't have the o2 in there either. I have seen a set up like that at some LHBS, who buy in bulk and re-package it,

Cheers

Hmmmmmmmmm, good info. There was a 25KG container of LME at the LBS in Oklahoma City. I just got to thinking about buying in bulk and maybe save a little money since I pretty much know what I like and don't mind drinking that style for years to come. Plus, I've been reading that there is going to be a spike in prices come next year. But with DME, won't I have the problem of clumping or having to store it ALL in a refrigerator or at least, a dehumidified room? Not exactly humid here in Oklahoma, but that DME acts like a magnet.

Latest posts

Back