Wheels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAWhiteFSU

Reaction score
Why are most of these brew rigs on wheels? The carbon monoxide from the propane burners makes most people brew outside?

Sorry for the question that almost certainly has a painfully obvious answer to everyone else around here. I have asked for an extract brewing kit for Christmas but my obsessive nature has taken hold.

you going to brew in the garage? with the potential gas fumes.
roll it outside then back in after.
welcome to the forum

It's a reasonable question. I put wheels on mine for all the reasons mentioned but have hardly ever really moved mine more than 12". I push it close to the wall to keep it out of the way and then pull it out to keep the heat off the wall. The frustrating part for me is that my garage is sloped so I have to shim up one side about 1.5" to keep thing generally level. If I just welded 3/4" nuts to the corners, I could have used 3/4" threaded rod as fully adjustable legs with rubber caps on the bottoms.

Once I get around to the electric conversion, there will be even less reason to move it so occasional muscling of it to where it needs to slide is fine. I can also see sliding a furniture dolly under it if necessary.

My brewery is also a chill room . When I'm not brewing, everyone hangs out in there. It's nice to have the monster brewstand out of the way when we're chillin. Also, I have the brewstand on a giant dropcloth. After brewin, I move the brewstand off the dropcloth to fold it up, take it outside, and clean it. Mobility is necessary for my system. It may not be necessary for yours, though.

I'm putting wheels on my electric setup so I can wheel the stand around to sweep and mop up. If building a stand, I honestly don't know why you wouldn't at least consider putting wheels on a stand. Especially if building one of the steel Brutus clones those m'fers can be heavy. I can see furniture sliders or something like that. But wheels are fairly inexpensive when putting together a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I roll my brewing equipment all the way from the garage around to the back patio whenever I brew. Before I had a stand to put stuff on, I was making several trips back and forth every brew day.

it's all about the mobility. I move mine to the mouth of the garage and brew with the door open if it is windy, or really sunny (I burn easily), or outside on a cool sunless day. takes 30sec to move it myself because it is on wheels.

Back