Decisions, Decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aardvark

Reaction score
Some time in the next week I'm going to press a lot of apples to make cider. I also have a mead that I racked into secondary about a week ago.

I'm thinking about blending some of it produce a Cyser of sorts. Since the mead has already fermented, I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is.

I could let the cider ferment out and then blend before bottling or add the apple juice to the cider and let it all ferment together. The first way would be easier and I'd have a better idea what I would get--a combination of flavors and an alcohol content in between the two. The second way would be much more of an experiment and the alcohol would be even higher than the mead.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Adding apple juice to the mead will result in a lower ABV than what the mead has now. The main difference between the two methods: by mixing juice in with the mead, the final fermentation will be by yeast that have been stressed in a high ABV environment. How stressed depends on the original gravity of the mead.

When I've made melomels, I've added the honey to the fermented juice. I honestly don't know if the difference would be noticeable.

Oh right...I guess I was thinking about adding more sugar. Forgetting that there is plenty of water in juice too...silly me.

Back