Any All-Grain Barleywine Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdog

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good all-grain Barleywine recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm especially interested in the yeast you've used and how well it handled the high alcohol level during fermentation. Thanks.

Say, for what were Hopyards meant,
Or why was Burton built on Trent?
Oh, many a Peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.........

Well, I can't find the recipe for the Barleywine I made,but will say this, any yeast will do fine, as long as you use alot of it. I usually make a batch of ESB or Pale Ale and use the yeast slurry from the primary fermenter. This assures you of having alot of healthy yeast .

I always use wyeast 1056 or white labs equivalent. This stuff is good to 10+ given you pitch a healthy, plentiful yeast sample.
I wouldn't write home about my barley wine. But if you still want the recipe after that raving review, I'll be glad to share it.

I prefer to use the Belgian Ale yeast for all of my high gravity brews...they turn out great.

Be sure to pitch again with a wildly active pitch at bottling time if you want to do in bottle carbonation. You will need to wait up to 5 months for a decent natural carbonation.

Latest posts

Back