taste varies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I've been drinking my way through 2 different batches - a PM pale ale, and a ME pale ale.

In general, these are both great beers - the PM is sweet & nutty (probably not correct for a pale ale, but a good beer none the less) the ME is a bit more spot on for the type.

But some of the beers I pop are just off - the other night one of the PM's was flat & had a bad taste (yeasty and maybe DMS?) where one of the ME's definitely had a DMS flavor.

I know I need to boil more to get rid of the DMS - something I've corrected in my latest batches - but what would cause different beers in the same batch to have different flavors? Is this a bottling issue (cap not on right? dirty bottles?) or something else?

What do you mean by "two different beers from the same batch?" were you parti-gyling?

All it takes is a spec of something in the bottle to spoil the beer. Always soak bottles in hot Cascade (R) dishwasher detergent which is caustic and then rinse well and inspect for any debris. Just before you bottle soak the bottles and the caps in Starsan sanitizer "do not rinse". Fill as normal using sanitized equipment.

Latest posts

Back